Chicken has been attacked by others in the flock

starri33

Crowing
Feb 28, 2016
Golden Valley AZ
I need help on how to treat, I just went and got one of the chicks I'd hatched for a friend, she'd put her and her hatch mates straight in from the brooder/grow out pen in with the rest of the flock, came out a half of a hour later she found her bleeding missing her tail feathers. I've got her in my brooder room in a private tote with food and water, pine shavings. I haven't washed her nor put anything on it till I know what to do.. she's not bleeding now.
20190326_113706.jpg
20190326_113708.jpg

Oh my. Poor thing! I’m sorry you’re going through this.
After she’s had a chance to calm down, you’ll need to clean it up with soap and water, or betadyn (povidine) or chlorhexidene (hibiclens scrub- store brands are fine) and treat it with some Neosporin or veterycin spray. No bandage. You don’t want anything sticking to the wound. You want it to stay moist while it heals.

She’ll have to be inside for some period of time of course.
She’d be better off on a clean towel or puppy pads for now I think so the pine shaving don’t stick to all the raw wounds.
They really got the back end of her good, I’d like it if you you could get a few more pictures of that area directly.
Is the vent itself damaged?

Do you have any idea what triggered this attack? Is she prolapsed?

Oh my. Poor thing! I’m sorry you’re going through this.
After she’s had a chance to calm down, you’ll need to clean it up with soap and water, or betadyn (povidine) or chlorhexidene (hibiclens scrub- store brands are fine) and treat it with some Neosporin or veterycin spray. No bandage. You don’t want anything sticking to the wound. You want it to stay moist while it heals.

She’ll have to be inside for some period of time of course.
She’d be better off on a clean towel or puppy pads for now I think so the pine shaving don’t stick to all the raw wounds.
They really got the back end of her good, I’d like it if you you could get a few more pictures of that area directly.
Is the vent itself damaged?

Do you have any idea what triggered this attack? Is she prolapsed?
Thank you, she's not mine, I'd hatched her for a friend, who has no idea who or what did it.. I'm working on the idea of "who" seeing as she basically got put in with the big guys with no introduction period... I'll have to take her out of her tote to change out the shavings, which might not be a bad idea as she's managed to turn her water bowl over..lol. She's had a bath with hibclense, rinsed, rinsed again with Hydrogen Perocide then a ample supply of antibiotic ointment. I'll do some more detailed investigation in the morning. To see just how much damage was done, it was important to me to get her home and get her calmed..

Thank you, she's not mine, I'd hatched her for a friend, who has no idea who or what did it.. I'm working on the idea of "who" seeing as she basically got put in with the big guys with no introduction period... I'll have to take her out of her tote to change out the shavings, which might not be a bad idea as she's managed to turn her water bowl over..lol. She's had a bath with hibclense, rinsed, rinsed again with Hydrogen Perocide then a ample supply of antibiotic ointment. I'll do some more detailed investigation in the morning. To see just how much damage was done, it was important to me to get her home and get her calmed..
You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work. :hugs

Oh gosh how disappointing. Good thing your friend has you.
No more hydrogen peroxide...for initial cleansing ok, but it destroys tissue.
You may hear others recommending blu-kote but that is an antiseptic and will burn like heck on open wounds.
Stacyjs recommendation is great.
You’ve probably thought about this, do you have a friend that can join her (once she has scabbed up)?

Last edited:
Oh gosh how disappointing. Good thing your friend has you.
No more hydrogen peroxide...for initial cleansing ok, but it destroys tissue.
You may hear others recommending blu-kote but that is an antiseptic and will burn like heck on open wounds.
Stacyjs recommendation is great.
You’ve probably thought about this, do you have a friend that can join her (once she has scabbed up)?
I've heard that hydrogen peroxide will keep the wound moist too and not let it scab.. so beyond maybe a bath with hiabcleanse she's going to be pretty much med free.. Blu Kote won't be needed I think because she's not going to be around chickens till she is healed.. What I'd like to do is have the wounds heal and some of the feathers start back and then put her in my TSC coop where she can see the others in my flock.. right now all I have are full grown hens and a roo, then some pullets that are due to start laying next month, she's to small to be put in with them without protection. I do have new chicks, but she'd trample them..lol.. hopefully she can go home to her hatch mates soon.

My patient is doing good.. has a attitude, filling her feed bowl got me pecked..lol, whether it was the whole flock who got her or a couple of them, I don't know, but they did a job of it, up most of her back, all of her tail, little under the tail, doesn't look to me any vent damage. Feathers missing from both wings with injuries under the wings some.. they were seriously out to kill the little one..
20190328_100110.jpg
20190328_100054.jpg
20190328_100045.jpg
20190328_100041.jpg

Back
Top Bottom