chicken has weird rock like thingy

My Meg's is a hard scab, not a blister like in that picture. That might be the original form, but it then forms a hard scab like annie is describing. Same cause and location.

You can use human antibiotic ointments as long as they don't contain an anesthetic like benzocaine or lidocaine. All caine products can be fatal to birds. The regular Neosporin type is fine.

yes, perhaps it started out like a sore, then devolped into a scab. my chickens is a hard scab too.

Last edited:
Quote:
okay, first thing tomorrow ill start applying the creme. thank you speckledhen and nickie too.

So, this morning i checked my chicken and the scab is off. its got this gooy like yellowish stuff near it. its more like a blister thingy now. i am going to try and take a picture with my computer/camera.
i cant find the scab peice tho, anywhere? I free range my girls, so perhaps this morning it fell off in the yard.
I seperated her in a spare run we have. she seems happy. i noticed a little hole that is left after the scab fell off. its really gross. i feel so bad for her.
anyways, going to put some antiboitc on it, should i cover the wound?

I know this was a really long time ago, but on the off-chance that you had any developments, could you tell me what they were. One of my most favorite ameraucana pullets has a huge scab right next to her keel about three quarters of an inch thick, and I'm thinking this may be what it is. It's so big, though, I don't know if I should risk trying to get it off. It's obviously causing her pain, but the wound that would be left seems worse.... I don't know. Thoughts? What happened with your chicken?

Back
Top Bottom