Chicken hatched Guinea Eggs (ANOTHER UPDATE & PICS-POST #36)

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
Has anyone had any luck with a broody chicken hatching guinea eggs?
If so, how many guinea eggs did you put under your chicken to hatch?
Did the chicken remain on the guinea eggs the entire time?
What type of mother was the chicken to the guineas once hatched?
Did you have a good hatch rate?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Quote:
I do it all of the time.

If so, how many guinea eggs did you put under your chicken to hatch? About a dozen under bantam cochins
Did the chicken remain on the guinea eggs the entire time? Yep
What type of mother was the chicken to the guineas once hatched? Better by far than a Guinea hen mother
Did you have a good hatch rate? Almost 100%

Thanks, I too was looking for this info.
My Bator quit on me during the tornados last week so I stuck my guinea eggs under a broody American Game hen.
I wasnt sure if she could raise them or if I needed to take them away and do it myself.
They should hatch on the 13th along with three chicken eggs.

Quote:
The game hen will make a fantastic mother! I used cochins but game would be better.

Chicken mothers communicate with Guinea keets just as well as if they were chicks. She will show them how to eat and drink and they respond when she talks to them.

wow-great info-I have this going on right now and was wondering how it would play out. I didn't think the guinea was looking really good as far as setting on the nest and now it seems I don't have to worry about it since a chicken has decided to take over. I didn't know if it was going to work but it sounds like your experience has been really positive. I'm looking forward to keets soon, I guess!

Mine HATCHED yesterday! 8 out of 15 keets plus a single chick. When I lifted the hen and saw the SOLID BLACK KEET I was REALLY excited to say the least...but then I remembered I had added a few bantam cochins...LOL now wouldnt a solid black guinea have been awesome??
Oh Well...I do have some cool assorted colors I will post pics tomorrow... including the Black one!

OH and my hen thinks they are wonderful...doesnt seem to have noticed they are different. They are MUCH more active than the chick...They pop in and out and hop around while the chick is sleepy. I will probably remove the chick to a group of similar aged chicks and leave the hen with just guineas.

Heres my pics and a short video!Hen and all...
They do sound a little different to me and they dont scream like a chick does when you pick them up.
I dont know what colors they are (will be), as I am new to Guineas...The black one is a Cochin bantam
big_smile.png

SANY0386.jpg

SANY0385.jpg

SANY0383.jpg

SANY0368.jpg

SANY0365.jpg

ya, my black sex-link went broody and hatched 10 guinea keeets, and they are so adorable!!!!! i also have 20 more eggs in my incubaor right now and when they hatch i will put them under the hen and let her take care of all them. maybe 30 children is too many! LOL

Back
Top Bottom