Chicken having trouble standing & walking

shadow88

Chirping
10 Years
May 13, 2013
Greenville, South Carolina
I have a buff Orpington hen who is about 4 years old & I good health. Last week I noticed she seemed stress which I thought was due to extreme heat & brought her inside for a few hours. She seemed fine but I noticed her laying down a lot the next day; then noticed she can only take a few steps at a time then lays down immediately. I checked for bumblefoot & treated for mites, even though so sign of. Her legs & feet do not appear to be broken or swollen. She is eating and drinking & looks alert. I have one other hen who is acting completely normal. Any ideas what the issue could be??

Could she be molting? I had an older silkie chicken that was going all over my yard but sitting down every few feet so looked up what is wrong. They suggested she was molting. I didn't even know she was molting so that night when they were all roosting, I pulled her out to check and she sure was!

The only other thing I could think of is some type of vitamin deficiency perhaps? Have you tried probiotics or some vitamin water, such as Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell?

Could she be molting? I had an older silkie chicken that was going all over my yard but sitting down every few feet so looked up what is wrong. They suggested she was molting. I didn't even know she was molting so that night when they were all roosting, I pulled her out to check and she sure was!

The only other thing I could think of is some type of vitamin deficiency perhaps? Have you tried probiotics or some vitamin water, such as Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell?
She doesn’t appear to be molting. I will try some of the things you suggested. Thank you.

buff Orpington hen who is about 4 years old & I good health. Last week I noticed she seemed stress which I thought was due to extreme heat & brought her inside for a few hours. She seemed fine but I noticed her laying down a lot the next day; then noticed she can only take a few steps at a time then lays down immediately.

She is eating and drinking & looks alert.
When was her last egg?
Do you note any swelling, bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

Is her crop emptying overnight?

Photos of her and her poop may be helpful.

I'd offer her some electrolytes, see that she's eating o.k.

If possible, get a fecal float to rule out worms as part of the problem.

At 4 yrs of age, she may be starting to have some reproductive problems.

When was her last egg?
Do you note any swelling, bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

Is her crop emptying overnight?

Photos of her and her poop may be helpful.

I'd offer her some electrolytes, see that she's eating o.k.

If possible, get a fecal float to rule out worms as part of the problem.

At 4 yrs of age, she may be starting to have some reproductive problems.
She did stop laying eggs. No swelling or bloat in abdomen or vent area. Her poops are normal. I am going to try the electrolytes.

She did stop laying eggs. No swelling or bloat in abdomen or vent area. Her poops are normal. I am going to try the electrolytes.
Is she going through a molt at all?
Any lice/mites?

If she *should* be laying but has suddenly stopped and she's not in molt, etc., then she may be having trouble expelling an egg or possible she's having some other problem like cancer, tumors, Salpingitis, etc.
If she should have laid and hasn't, then I'd get extra calcium into her for a few days to see is she's able to expel an egg, she may have one in there pressing on a nerve making it difficult to stand.

Back
Top Bottom