Chicken illness Vague rooster

Jenslp

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
I have a rooster about 10 weeks old that is having vague symptoms. He lost a lot of weight and is very weak and lethargic at times....Other times he is clamoring for food with the others.. This morning he was very weakened but last night he ate and drank a lot. I pulled him from the others and gave him some sugar water and food. He doesn't have bloody poop or any respiratory symptoms so I don't get it. I don't think he will make it through the day but any thoughts would be great appreciated...I have treated for infection, gave electrolytes and vitamins. He is fed Purina flock builder so he has good nutrition....Thanks in advance.

Also, The others he is penned with seem to be doing fine and they have been together for the duration since I got them.

He died yesterday....such a pretty roo....I hated to lose it but I'm treating them all for coccidiosis. I guess he just wasn't strong enough......Any tip about treating this nasty protozoan would be greatly appreciate...I lost 2 so far and the others seem better.

I was going to suggest Corid until I read your last post. Another BYCer recently lost her rooster to cocci (she had him necropsied by a vet.) Sorry about your loss.

He died yesterday....such a pretty roo....I hated to lose it but I'm treating them all for coccidiosis. I guess he just wasn't strong enough......Any tip about treating this nasty protozoan would be greatly appreciate...I lost 2 so far and the others seem better.
Yes,make sure dosage is correct,and do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after treatment. Treat all chicks for 5 days.

Last edited:
What vitamin solution or other supplement would anyone recommend to give after treatment with corid as tomorrow is the last day! For the most part the chicks seem better their are eating and drinking better. What else could I do to booster their system back up their comb color is returning but not all the way bright as it should be and a few are still a bit droopy winged. They are starting to act more like chickens scratching around and all trying to chase flies and preening do hopefully they will all recover! I watch for them to drink the medicated water and the ones that I don't see drink when I change their water I give th a dose by dropped...so hopefully I caught it and the rest of the flock will be OK

You can use Save a chick in their water or Polyvisol without iron a drop or two for each chick. Plus give some plain yogurt a time or two a week.

Last edited:
Out of the flock I have lost a total of 3 birds.. a.Spanish hen, Dominique hen, and a Gold lace Roo. I have one Spanish hen and a Favorelle hen that are very questionable to me for survival due to their actions....I was wondering how long should I expect to lose birds. Today is the last day for treatment with Corid . This has decimated my WFBS now I think that I only have 2 hens and 2 roos all have which have effected and are receiving treatment. Is there anything else that you can suggest that I can do....I will start vitamins tomorrow....as I read that you aren't suppose to use them with Corid because it can make the medication not work....Any help and suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom