Chicken injured by fox

jorj

Songster
Mar 29, 2021
Near Bozeman Montana
I have a silver laced Wyandotte that got attacked by a fox today and is injured on its neck and wings. I’m on vacation so my neighbor informed me about this, what should I tell her to do with the chicken until I get back tomorrow?

Attachments

• B26F4AA9-56F6-4816-BABA-288774FCC7FE.jpeg
    B26F4AA9-56F6-4816-BABA-288774FCC7FE.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 8398F04A-A0A9-42E5-B8E2-B40B021E38D8.jpeg
    8398F04A-A0A9-42E5-B8E2-B40B021E38D8.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 7
How deep are the wounds? Was this during the day outside of the coop and run? Saline works well to clean wounds, but you can also use Betadine, chlorhexidene, or
a wound spray initially. Then when dry, put some Triple antibiotic ointment on it twice daily after the saline. A fox could have squeezed or hit her hard, and it could have could some internal injuries. Hopefully she will recover in time but treat her for shock, offer water with a little sugar or electrolytes. Once she is drinking, then try some wet chicken feed and scrambled egg bits. Keep her separated and warm. Let us know how she gets along.

How deep are the wounds? Was this during the day outside of the coop and run? Saline works well to clean wounds, but you can also use Betadine, chlorhexidene, or
a wound spray initially. Then when dry, put some Triple antibiotic ointment on it twice daily after the saline. A fox could have squeezed or hit her hard, and it could have could some internal injuries. Hopefully she will recover in time but treat her for shock, offer water with a little sugar or electrolytes. Once she is drinking, then try some wet chicken feed and scrambled egg bits. Keep her separated and warm. Let us know how she gets along.
The wounds are through the skin but not to bone, this happened around 3 this afternoon and they were free ranging around the yard. The fox killed and took one bird but only injured this one other. My neighbor separated her and we will start with the antibiotic ointment and clean it tomorrow morning when we get home but for now she is eating and drinking normally. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom