Chicken is lethargic all of the sudden, keeps eyes closed

firexpunch

Hatching
Jan 25, 2024
Hey everyone. Just in advance, English isn't my first language so I hope I come across correctly.
This post concerns my bantam cochin, Cupcake. She's a little older than 3 now and usually a very active lady. This afternoon she was very energetic and happy to receive a little snack. But when I went to close the coop for the night I noticed she was missing from the perch. I found her underneath the night-house, laying down and puffed up. I took her inside immediately since she's never done this. She didn't stand up when I put her down, simply went through her hunches. She kept her eyes closed for a long time before taking a few steps, then slumped again. She took a few sips of water and a few bites of food but nothing since. I noticed one poop, very white and watery but nothing since then.
Cupcake has been inside with me since then and I'm very concerned. Rather than being chatty she is dead quiet. Her eyes are closed at all times and her beak slightly parted as she breathes. She can't keep her head up for longer than a minute, it drops forwards. There's nothing hard in her crop/the little sack on front of her throat. Her comb is red as always. The bottom of her feet look fine/no bumblefoot as far as I noticed. I've tried figuring out what might be wrong but I'm just not sure. It's evening here/close to midnight and I'm worried sick. Planning on finding a nearby vet tomorrow morning.
Any help and advice appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2828.JPG
    IMG_2828.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2832.PNG
    IMG_2832.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2833.PNG
    IMG_2833.PNG
    854.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2834.PNG
    IMG_2834.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2835.PNG
    IMG_2835.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Poor thing. Can you try to give her some water with a a tsp of sugar per cup and a tiny pinch of salt? If she will drink with a cup up to her beak, then try some moist food or scrambled egg. Can you feel if she has any food inside? Is it empty, full, firm, or puffy? Does she lay eggs normally? Has it been extremely cold there? Could she have some frostbite on her feet, or have been kept from her food and water?

Can you tell if there is something in her throat? I would just put my ear near it and not try to fuss with her too much until you can figure out what has happened? I hope others will chime in soon with better suggestions.

Poor thing. Can you try to give her some water with a a tsp of sugar per cup and a tiny pinch of salt? If she will drink with a cup up to her beak, then try some moist food or scrambled egg. Can you feel if she has any food inside? Is it empty, full, firm, or puffy? Does she lay eggs normally? Has it been extremely cold there? Could she have some frostbite on her feet, or have been kept from her food and water?
No interest in the water at all. Her crops pretty empty, I think there's some seeds in there. She started laying eggs again after a few months off. It's been very strange weather. Wind/rain/ice/snow. She's very eager usually so I doubt she didn't get enough food and water.

Can you tell if there is something in her throat? I would just put my ear near it and not try to fuss with her too much until you can figure out what has happened? I hope others will chime in soon with better suggestions.
Can't really feel anything weird. When I listen real close there's a slight wheezing sound. No super weird smell. Just kinda smells like always, like seeds/bread-ish.

She just did the first big poop in hours. Smells godawful. She took a few sips of water with some sugar and tiiiny bit of salt. Now dozing off standing up.

Attachments

• IMG_2838.PNG
    IMG_2838.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2841.PNG
    IMG_2841.PNG
    872.5 KB · Views: 13
I would offer the sugar water often, but you can also add water to eggs or feed, anything to get her taking some. Make sure that she is warm. Let us know if she gets any better.

I would offer the sugar water often, but you can also add water to eggs or feed, anything to get her taking some. Make sure that she is warm. Let us know if she gets any better.
Had her drink quite a few spoonfuls of it. Sometimes after a sip she'd do a weird little grunt or squeak but didn't show discomfort. She's comfortable on a towel in a little transport cage I use for my cat, out on the attic landing where it's definitely warmer than outside. It's 1;30 Am now so I think it's time for me and her to try to sleep. Will update with good news, hopefully. Thanks for advice so far.

Well! Heard a ruckus and got up to find her outside, she managed to nudge open the little door that I didn't close properly. I thought she was having some sort of attack but when I held her for a minute. Poof! A very soft shelled egg. Hopefully getting this out will help her feel better.

Attachments

• IMG_2845.PNG
    IMG_2845.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom