Chicken is limping, help!

Here’s her foot today. I didn’t notice any scratches or bruising.
389473D4-9117-49CA-B7D6-5363805DD806.jpeg

The back toe does look inflamed.
I'd soak it in a chlorhexidine solution, dry it well after, then apply a small dab of triple antibiotic ointment. Wrap the toe to help keep it clean. Keep her on dry bedding.
Tend to the foot daily and monitor it well, if it gets worse, then you may need an antibiotic or to seek vet care.

Okay here is a chicken foot update:

Poppy is not limping anymore and seems to be acting more herself. Although the original toe (left) I posted about is HUGE. It looks very swollen. The toe on her other foot (right) is also swelling up. Today I noticed that the right toenail is gone?! It was there yesterday so it must have fallen off but there is no trace of blood. There is also scab like tissue in her toe. I soaked her feet and attempted to get the dark tissue out but it hurting her when I touched it. She is still walking fine though.

I am honestly at a loss for what to do. Is this bumblefoot? Frostbite? Something else? Will her toenail grow back? She is my favorite chicken and she has had very bad luck throughout her life. When we first got her, she had a swollen eye which is now cloudy and we believe she is blind in that eye. She is less active than the others but I'm not sure if that's due to her foot problem or that she is the odd ball out and gets picked on by the other chickens. :( I want to help her but I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_5089.jpeg
    IMG_5089.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5091.jpeg
    IMG_5091.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5092.jpeg
    IMG_5092.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4981.jpeg
    IMG_4981.jpeg
    662.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
How have you been treating the feet?
Originally for the left toe we removed the black scab and applied Neosporin and a bandage for a while. I also tried using Prid drawing salve. For the right toe with the missing toenail I haven't done anything besides soaking in an epsom salt bath.

If it is frostbite or an injury, toenails may fall off, and do not grow back. But most chickens do fine without a toenail or with the tip of the toe missing. It should heal in time.

Back
Top Bottom