Chicken is missing feathers

DeepDishChix

Chirping
May 23, 2015
Hello,
One of my EE's is missing all of her tail feathers except for one and has a bare patch on her back. She is also very pale, and I think one of the bigger chickens is attacking her, because she always looks really nervous. Is there anything I can do, maybe put her somewhere by herself for a few days?
Thanks!

I would first look over the chicken for evidence of tiny lice or mites that could be irritating her skin. Mites and worms can cause anemia and pale skin. If you see any bugs or white clumps of lice eggs at the base of feathers, dust or spray her with permethrin or sevin dust. Mites will be treated the same. Wormers to use include Valbazen 1/2 ml orally to each chicken, and repeat in 10 days. Fenbendazole (safeguard, panacur) can also be used. Spend some time with your chickens while sitting in a chair watching for any bullying or feather picking. Feeding a good layer feed 16% or more protein should help feathers re-grow. I might even give some extra protein for a few weeks with some flock raiser or gamebird feed. Removing the hen from the flock unless she is bleeding may make her a target when she comes back. It is better to remove a bully for a week or two to lower their standing in the pecking order. Nustock cream is very good to apply to red areas to hide wounds and to promote healing. BluKote or gentian violet can also be used for that. Both are found at feed stores and online.

27141-209.jpg
shopping

Back
Top Bottom