Chicken is sick or eat outside

stapleberg3

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Yesterday I noticed my 17 week old Bard rock hen was not hanging with the other hens, she is mopey, and does not scratch or eat when outside. I do not know if she is eating inside. I did notice a clear substance on her back end. I don't know what to do.

Yesterday I noticed my 17 week old Bard rock hen was not hanging with the other hens, she is mopey, and does not scratch or eat when outside. I do not know if she is eating inside. I did notice a clear substance on her back end. I don't know what to do.
We need a pic of the clear stuff.

Is her comb becoming red? Hopefully, it is just a hormonal thing, where she may be getting ready to lay an egg. Does the clear material from her vent look like egg albumen? Can you put a glove on, and stick a finger into her vent an inch or two, and check for an egg or broken egg/membrane? A shell-less egg can get stuck. I would offer her some water and some cooked egg, just to make sure that she is eating. Look at her poops for any diarrhea or blood that might be coccidiosis. Hopefully, she is just acting different due to being close to laying.

Here is the picture we took. It looks like an egg is stuck.

Attachments

• DSC01215.JPG
    DSC01215.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 7
I would lubricate her vent and stick a finger inside to feel for the possible egg (use a disposable glove if you have one.) If you think there is an egg or a softie shell-less egg, give her some calcium (a human calcium tablet, Tums, Rolaids, or ground egg shells in some yogurt.) Place her in a warm humid environment, or if she is strong enough, in a warm bath to soak for 20 minutes to relax. You can gently massage her abdomen.

I would lubricate her vent and stick a finger inside to feel for the possible egg (use a disposable glove if you have one.) If you think there is an egg or a softie shell-less egg, give her some calcium (a human calcium tablet, Tums, Rolaids, or ground egg shells in some yogurt.) Place her in a warm humid environment, or if she is strong enough, in a warm bath to soak for 20 minutes to relax. You can gently massage her abdomen.
We soaked her and she is trying to push the egg, but she gives up. I feel so bad for her. Any other ideas??

Back
Top Bottom