Chicken isn't standing up

shellie003

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
NE WI
Hi Everyone, i went to check on the girls this morning and gave them some treats. I looked in the coop and 1 golden comet was just sitting in the middle of the coop not moving but alert. She won't stand up. I pulled her over by me and she never made a peep or an effort to get away. She doesn't have bubbles in her eyes her nose looks clear, her comb and wattles look nice and red, feet look good. She is just sitting kinda tilted forward and puffed out a little but won't stand. I felt her breast bone and looked at her butt and nothing unusual. She doesn't appear to have any injuries. We don't have roosters.

We cleaned their coop yesterday. Put down all new bedding, It got kind of dusty when we did it. And one comet snuck in on the roost when we were cleaning. We put DE in the coop so I am assuming that was flying up as well as the "normal" chicken dust. I am not sure if she was the sneaky one that got in or not.

I went back in the coop with some yogurt and gave some to the others and put some in the coop in front of her. She didn't take it at first so I put her beak in it then she started to eat it but wouldn't stand to get it. She just ate a little.

We are having a horrible wind storm today in WI with gusts up to 50-65 mph so I am not sure if that is scaring her??? We also have our run covered with plastic for winterization so they aren't getting the wind or the rain, just the loud flapping from the plastic.

She is also laying but they have slowed considerably due to loss of daylight too. We feed them dry layer mash we get mixed special from our feed mill and have been for awhile. We have been giving them BOSS too.

Does anyone have any ideas?? I am freaking out!!!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
tongue.gif

Sounds like what just happen to one of my girls, she was unable to walk. I looked it up here and found it can be due to a Vit. B12 deficiency. I gave her vit. b12 in her food for 5 days and she began to walk, not well but started to stand and walk a few steps, by the 7th day she was walking again and is now just like normal and back with the flock. She was in a molt when this happen, maybe the stress of the molt depleted her Vitamin supply. I also gave her electrolyte solution for the feed store, all the girls got some, and I gave her warm baths to help her legs out, she liked the baths!

Sounds like you need to get yourself from cranassure gel caps- poke one gel cap down the bird's gullet once a day in the morning- a clove of raw garlic in the evening.

Also- cease using any form of mash- its a disease vector- disintegrated feed stuffs + feather dander + environmental dust + fecal material + urea + mold + fungi = mycoplasma etc. etc.

UltraKibble supplement mixed together with scratch grain and oystershell increases health and saves money as well as reduces environmental contamination.

yesterday I went out to my coop & my 5wk old silkie is not getting up or standing either! if u figure it out please let me know im new @ this.. thanks.

Same thing happened to my 7 week old Silkie two days ago. The vet told us her tendons were not attached to her bones in her legs and they just grew that way. She had to be put down. If your chicken is older it's probably something else. Hopefully you figure everything out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happened to my red star hens. and only ever the red stars which is funny. It began with not walking or standing to doing the complete splits. I found out it was mereks disease but it only affected my red stars.All the other breeds were fine. I had to put my hens down. I hope yours gets better.

No she had to be put down.. I took her to vet that works w birds & was told her tendons slipped off the leg bones & no way to fix.. I'm not liking this part @ all.. Thank u for ur input!

Back
Top Bottom