Chicken Keeper and Tinkerer

Data

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 6, 2015
Blackbird Forest
My Coop
My Coop
I convinced my wife to let me start raising chickens on our 11 acre wooded lot this year. We bought a kit coop at Sam's Club and thought we'd buy some supplies, chicks and get started in June. Wrong! Even with a fair amount of research on breeds and feeds on BYC and other places. I missed a lot. Still learning and seem to have healthy hens. Still waiting for that first $1000 egg.

I was going to get 6 Australorps for to start, but brought the wife to the feed store when picking up the chicks and the kid helping us made a comment about "single breed flocks are boring" and the wife thought the Sicilian buttercups were really cute, so we went home with 3 of each. It makes for an interesting flock, but the big black girls and the little golden speckled girls get along fine and the Buttercups are pretty.

I've spent most of the summer building La Casita del Pollo as the girls have been growing.

I work in IT and into DYI projects, so I've made my own feeders and waterers as part of the project. Of course I had to put in a high resolution chicken cam viewable at http:://lacasitadelpollo.sytes.net:8008. Click on the Anonymous box and login. Unfortunately you'll be most likely be prompted to download and install a plugin to view the stream.

In addition to the girls, we've got two dogs, (Eppie and Piglet) and two cats (Nimby and Spot) at the moment. All rescues. Piglet is fascinated by the girls and runs over the check on them every time he goes out.

Last edited:
Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom