Chicken laid egg in middle of yard

M.sue

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Hello everyone, I need to know if this ever happened to anyone else. My chickens were free ranging for about 20 minutes when I went out give them some scratch. As I was tossing scratch by the handfuls I noticed that one hen seemed to be all fluffed up and shook her wings. I didn't think any thing of it, thought she got chilled because it fairly chilly out. As she stepped toward a ration of scratch I tossed low and be hold the was an egg!! She dropped that baby right were she was. This all happened within seconds. Is this normal behavior? My kids were zipping around the property on their quads which the chickens are accustomed to but sheeshhhhh. Talk about drop and go!

Some chickens do prefer to lay out doors, mine do.
smile.png

My first egg was laid outside 2 weeks ago, the second one was in the coop on the floor in the corner. After that, they have all been in nest box #4. It is not any darker than any of the other nest boxes, but it is farthest from the window.

When mine first started laying I did find one in the pen and a couple on the floor in the corner of the coop. That was the 1st week of Aug and since then they've all been in the nesting boxes. I was just ultimately surprised
ep.gif
that she'd pop one out right there when I was handing out snacks.

I have one hen who lays her eggs while perching...can't figure out which girl, but every other day there is an egg broken on the perch below ....

Not one of my hens lays in the coop in the six lovely boxes built in there for the purpose, though they like to sleep in the nest boxes.

They all lay in various places under hedges, in thickets etc. I think they are playing a cruel game with me!

Back
Top Bottom