Chicken laws in NJ

Best to call your city hall or municipal building, ask for the city clerk, and ask him/her for a copy of the statutes that might pertain to you having chickens. Arrange a time to go pick up said copies. It should be free, since this is public knowledge and you can get any public info for free by OPRA request anyhow. (OPRA = Open Public Records Act)

Some info requires a formal OPRA request... but this shouldn't.

Much of the time your city/town statutes aren't found online, but like I said - they are easily requested and are free. Your city clerk is the proper person to whom you go to ask.
No one else here - other than, possibly, another Elizabeth resident - is going to know the statutes in Elizabeth, if they aren't online. ;-)
Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks for your response. I did come across 6.04.350, but it seemed contradictory. On one hand it says not within 150ft of another residence then it said 'other than the residence of the person keeping'....I wasn't sure how that translated...see below...thoughts??..

6.04.350 - Keeping of goats prohibited—Cattle and chickens restricted.
It is unlawful to keep or have any goats anywhere in, the city, or any cattle or chickens within one hundred fifty (150) feet of any residence other than the residence of the person so keeping or having such animals anywhere in the city.

(Prior code § 68-36)

Thanks for your response. I did come across 6.04.350, but it seemed contradictory. On one hand it says not within 150ft of another residence then it said 'other than the residence of the person keeping'....I wasn't sure how that translated...see below...thoughts??..

6.04.350 - Keeping of goats prohibited—Cattle and chickens restricted.
It is unlawful to keep or have any goats anywhere in, the city, or any cattle or chickens within one hundred fifty (150) feet of any residence other than the residence of the person so keeping or having such animals anywhere in the city.

(Prior code § 68-36)
I think that it means no goats anywhere in the city. and cattle or chickens must be at least 150 feet away from any residence. This does not apply to the residence of the person keeping those animals.

So you can have your chickens closer than 150 feet to your own house, but they must be at least 150 feet from any one else's house!

Good luck!
fl.gif

So you can have your chickens closer than 150 feet to your own house, but they must be at least 150 feet from any one else's house!

Good luck!
fl.gif

Exactly.
150 feet from your neighbors' houses will determine where you can place the chicken coop. If your lot is big enough, or your neighbors are far away, you can have chickens.

Jackpot, your question is probably going to have to be addressed by your specific community, rather than by your town. See, even if the town/city of Mays Landing permits chickens, if your specific seniors community has any kind of governing body (like a homeowners association, co-op association, etc) - then that association or governing body may have rules that trump municipal laws.

Such associations/governing bodies are notoriously strict and may lawfully govern even the seemingly simplest of things that the rest of us take for granted - like what color(s) you may or may not paint the exterior of your house, the exact length to which your lawn must be cut or manicured, whether or not you may have BBQ grills or clothes lines or even lawn furniture outside - even if it IS your property... I've known people who lived in such communities where they were not permitted to have my antique Oldsmobile parked in sight (it had to be IN their one-car garage instead of their own modern car) when I was visiting for a few short hours! And believe me - my Babycakes (pic below) IS NOT an eyesore, either - it's just, well, old. 36 years old. It's a 1980 Olds Cutlass Brougham special edition sedan. At the time, it had all of it's own original body parts with original color paint... although NOW it has two fairly recent donor doors in another color that I haven't yet had the chance to re-paint in it's original dark blue... one is light blue an the other is brown. Still... it's not in bad shape - no dents, all painted, and original chrome (it's loaded with chrome, lol). I imagine that these (and similar) such associations would hardly permit chickens, if an old car was considered unbearably unsightly. lol

So start off by asking your community association, if it has one. If not OR if they are ok with chickens, then go to your city/town hall or municipal building, and ask in both Zoning and Animal Control (usually located within the Health Dept) for any statutes pertaining to having chickens. Or ask your city/town Clerk the same.

Last edited:
:barnie I thought that the Zoning codes in South Brunswick Township allowed chickens because there are specific requirements for coop placement. I found the information by searching the township Planning codes for "chickens." :barnie:barnie:barnieI was served notice last month, that I am in violation of the zoning ordinance!

Chickens are not allowed in Residential zones unless you have at least 5 acres. You cannot have even 1 chicken unless you have 5 acres. It doesn't matter if your neighbors love your flock (including the roosters!) :th

We have filed the paper work ($170) and are getting ready to inform everyone who lives within 200 feet of our property via certified mail that we are filing for a variance. We will also have to place legal notices in a local newspaper designated by the township. Then we go before the board and will find out at that meeting whether or not we are allowed to have chickens.

Back
Top Bottom