Chicken lice!

Anything that says it can be used on poultry. This is the one that most people get: That works out to ~5 ml (one teaspoon) per quart of water.
Thank you. Now this does not say I can treat the chickens with it. Do I have to dilute it more? Or would one spray on them be ok?

Thank you. Now this does not say I can treat the chickens with it. Do I have to dilute it more? Or would one spray on them be ok?
Chickens are poultry...
tongue.png

I spray it under each wing, on the back of the neck, and at the vent.
hu.gif
No issues so far...

And in my lay boxes and under the roost.

Did you know there is more than one type of chicken lice? Head, body, and feather... I think. Anyways, the head ones stay on the head!
hmm.png
SO if you only check vents or vice versa, you may never know.

Also all this time I've been looking for mites under my roost, never there... only to find out Northern Fowl Mites actually live on the bird and should be my biggest concern.

Learning something new all the time!

Quote: It says "use a fine mist to deliver 0.5 fl. oz. of spray solution per bird", which means you can spray the bird. No need to dilute further. Spray vent, legs, under wings, back belly, neck, and if you can, find a way to spray some on the head without getting any in the eyes.

Types of lice:

Figure 1. Chicken lice (not to scale) collected in survey of backyard poultry in California. (A) Chicken body louse, Menacanthus stramineus; (B) Menacanthus cornutus; (C) Shaft louse, Menopon gallinae; (D) Fluff louse, Goniocotes gallinae; (E) Wing louse, Lipeurus caponis; and (F) Chicken head louse, Cuclotogaster heterographus. Image by A. Murillo, UC Riverside

http://veterinaryentomology.ucr.edu/chickenlice.html

Chickens are poultry... :p

I spray it under each wing, on the back of the neck, and at the vent. :confused:  No issues so far...

And in  my lay boxes and under the roost.

Did you know there is more than one type of chicken lice? Head, body, and feather... I think. Anyways, the head ones stay on the head! :/  SO if you only check vents or vice versa, you may never know. 

Also all this time I've been looking for mites under my roost, never there... only to find out Northern Fowl Mites actually live on the bird and should be my biggest concern.

Learning something new all the time!

Thank you, I know poultry is chicken lol

I did not understand the directions and wanted to be sure before I started spraying a chemical all over them. I figured there might be a different ratio between spraying the chicken and spraying the coop.
I will have to check their heads. I didn't know that thanks.

Thank you, I know poultry is chicken lol

I did not understand the directions and wanted to be sure before I started spraying a chemical all over them. I figured there might be a different ratio between spraying the chicken and spraying the coop.
I will have to check their heads. I didn't know that thanks.
Using the permethrin will take care of the head lice to, so probably no need to worry. I was just sharing cuz I didn't know that was a possibility and find it interesting info.
smile.png

Did you get the direction figured out now for the spray?

Some things are not prevalent in all areas and there also maybe seasonal changes to which pest it is. The residual effect is good enough to get a great handle on anything I know of. The report I read says certain pests do build resistance. I try not to over use anything and just when needed. Come to find out in my area, winter is lice time.

One other thing... if your birds aren't super easy to catch, do it once they have gone to roost in the evening, a little after dark. They are calm, nobody runs away. Use a flashlight and keep it dim. I have 50+, so it helps a lot. Rounding them up and keeping track during the day just ain't happening.

Good luck!
fl.gif

Quote: The last one I treated had lice all over his body, so I sprayed his entire body. That was over a month ago and still no sign of lice. The ones on their heads are *very* small, so you might want to use reading glasses when checking them, that or just assume they have more than one type of louse and spray their entire body.

Using the permethrin will take care of the head lice to, so probably no need to worry. I was just sharing cuz I didn't know that was a possibility and find it interesting info. :)

Did you get the direction figured out now for the spray?

Some things are not prevalent in all areas and there also maybe seasonal changes to which pest it is. The residual effect is good enough to get a great handle on anything I know of. The report I read says certain pests do build resistance. I try not to over use anything and just when needed. Come to find out in my area, winter is lice time. 

One other thing... if your birds aren't super easy to catch, do it once they have gone to roost in the evening, a little after dark. They are calm, nobody runs away. Use a flashlight and keep it dim. I have 50+, so it helps a lot. Rounding them up and keeping track during the day just ain't happening.

Good luck! :fl

Yes thank you! I am waiting until next weekend when my husband is home from a work trip so he can give me a hand with it.
Lord I hope this doesn't become a constant thing.
1f648.png

Maybe I can find some info on the seasonal pests in my area.

Back
Top Bottom