Chicken Lice

MoffatChicken

Songster
9 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Hi, I have a chicken that has chicken lice. as far as i can see its only on the one chicken and i have her quarantined but we are leaving today for a week and i don't have time to get any Diatomaceous Earth. Is it best to leave her in a 3x5 coop for a week (with someone bringing food and water) for the week or add her back to the rest of the flock (11 other chickens) and treat them all when i get back?

If she has them, more than likely they all have it. I would not separate her for that. If you don't have time to dust/treat them they should be ok until you get back but treat them as soon as you return.

I think she got the lice when she was sitting on eggs trying to hatch (unsuccessfully) she was isolated, so im not sure the rest have them. I would like to reunite her with the flock but I have never had a chicken with lice before don't know how bad it is or how hard it is to get rid of :(

I think she got the lice when she was sitting on eggs trying to hatch (unsuccessfully) she was isolated, so im not sure the rest have them. I would like to reunite her with the flock but I have never had a chicken with lice before don't know how bad it is or how hard it is to get rid of :(
A lot of things to get rid of them, We use to use plain garden sevin---some say that's not good to use?? We use to use it all the time. Some mix up some permithrin(?) in a spray bottle---I know that works. Probably 100 more things you can do.

Thanks for the advice. Would you be able to send some links? im having a hard time finding permethrin in Canada... but i can find DE

If it's just the one that needs treating you could give her a salt bath with a little detergent (to ensure the lice sink and drown). Give her a good soak in the salt water, ruffling her feathers so it gets everywhere, then have a separate basin that's fresh water to rinse her off in. Towel dry her then blow dry her if it's a cool day. If it's a hot, sunny day she should be fine air drying. You will need to re treat her in a week to 10 days to kill any new hatchlings.

Make sure your other birds have a nice dusty (just plain dirt is fine) dustbath to lounge in. Dust bathing keeps parasites in check, but your broody won't have been looking after herself as well which is likely why she's had an outbreak of them.

Back
Top Bottom