Chicken losing feathers

Quail_

Chirping
Apr 8, 2023
My buff orpinton has been losing some feathers on her back but i didnt think much of it besides bullying. Maybe my rooster was making her his favorite but today i walked into my coop and saw her head was missing a lot of feathers.

She seems fine besides her losing feathers but how can i stop this and help her regrow her feathers?

Attachments

• 20231110_144008.jpg
    20231110_144008.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 71
  • 20231110_144015.jpg
    20231110_144015.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 9
It all looks like rooster damage. They hold on to the head when they mount the hens.
She will regrow feathers when she molts.
How old is he?
How long have they been together?
How many hens do you have?
How much space?
Hes about year or so old. They've been together their whole life basically. We have 6 hens but 1 hen is too small and my other rooster doesnt go after the other hens since hes also small.

So he has 5 hens to himself in a 10 by 10 area. Im trying to get another 10 by 10 so they will have a 20 by 20

He's young and inexperienced but not that bad. The feather damage to that hen isn't that bad either.
I would prioritize expanding their area ASAP. Then put a thick layer of organic material down for them to scratch through, install branch perches in the corners of the run, lean a pallet or two against a wall and some stump arrangements for them to hop up on. Maybe an old wood chair with leg rungs and a back as they love to jump up and perch on those. They need places to get away from him. If they are high up perching, he cannot mount them.
I think with time, his technique should improve. Giving them a larger, more enriched space will help give the girls places to get out of his reach.

He's young and inexperienced but not that bad. The feather damage to that hen isn't that bad either.
I would prioritize expanding their area ASAP. Then put a thick layer of organic material down for them to scratch through, install branch perches in the corners of the run, lean a pallet or two against a wall and some stump arrangements for them to hop up on. Maybe an old wood chair with leg rungs and a back as they love to jump up and perch on those. They need places to get away from him. If they are high up perching, he cannot mount them.
I think with time, his technique should improve. Giving them a larger, more enriched space will help give the girls places to get out of his reach.
They do have places to get away from him, they will just fly ontop of their coop! But i will begin to add more perches! Thank you!

This is useful - I have nine chickens including one roo. Four red stars, two black stars, and three Ameracaunas (including the roo). They are about a year old (we got them as pullets, not chicks - the roo was an accident) and have not gone through a full adult molt. The hybrids are excellent layers and continue to give us five or six eggs per day generally. The Ameracaunas have been less reliable layers. They're flightier, smaller, and their egg laying is a little unpredictable, especially now in winter. In addition, one of them has lost some feathers around her tail/back as mentioned above, the downy parts especially. I took a look at her more closely and see no injury, no vent issues, no mites as far as I could tell - since we didn't get them as chicks they are a bit harder to handle - lesson learned there. But she's eating, active, bright eyed, drinking, etc. I was thinking it was either (or a combination) of the roo being awkward or choosing her more frequently (I haven't gotten that sense but I'm not observing all day everyday) and/or she seems to be lower in the pecking order and may be getting plucked/picked at. They have a very large free-range area plus run and coop. I have recently started feeder her a little additional food separate from the others before they roost. I am also going to put out a higher protein all-flock crumble for them all to have a little extra boost (plus oyster shell) plus RopaPoultry Oregano Oil supplement. I'm hoping this will help all of them but especially the Ameracauna. If there are any other thoughts I'd take them!

Back
Top Bottom