chicken manure in the garden

That information surprised me a little. I guess I hadn't thought of it before. I don't want to hijack the thread, but how many people really have to worry about spreading salmonella in their backyard?

I would use it tilled in the fall and let rest over winter. I do not put it on top soil ever where it can splash if there is a rain. Splashed veg. can be problematic. They only check the hens for a particular Salmonella. There are more than one kind of it. Composted is best but otherwise I would bury it in the garden in the fall. Jean

We spread our chicken and rabbit waste on the garden after fall harvest. It sits all winter. In the spring I gather my branches that have fallen during the off season and build a bonfire in the middle of the garden or wherever we had plant issues from the year before and burn it off. I then till everything in. It works wonderful and we always have a bountiful harvest
smile.png

Boxermom,
A great way to "contain" a compost pile is with bales of straw. Use the straw bales like bricks and create boxes. Fill the boxes with your compost material. The bales themselves will, eventually become compost. You will need to put a vent pipe in the center of the pile to insure adequate venting, which is key to keep from having a stinky mess. You can wet down the pile and then cover it with a tarp (making sure the vent pipe is open/clear). The tarp will keep the dogs out of the fun stuff.

I don't believe NPIP tests for *all* pathogenic-to-humans salmonella species, does it? (or does it?) and in any case salmonella is not the only concern, there are other bacteria that can be present in poo (such as, but not limited to, certain strains of E coli) that can make you just as sick.

The recommendation is not to spread manure on food crops or the ground they grow on for 60 days before harvesting anything.

It is unwise to rely on hot composting to sterilize your manure, for normal people like us anyhow, because not all of the pile will get that hot.

However, once poo has composted, or sat out in the elements and soil, for several months, the pathogenic buggies will have generally gone all toes-up and you are pretty safe (safe as any dirt, anyhow).

Of course you *can* use fresher poo around food crops, just don't say we didn't warn you if you get all pukey
tongue.png
and it is probably not wise to sell stuff grown that way.

Pat

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I never would have thought of the bales. I found a plan last fall that uses a barrel on a stand. It can easily be turned and is mobile. The people we bought our acreage from left some barrel racing barrels. I can have a couple set up where I'll be using the compost and be good to go.

Thanks for all the great ideas and info. I'm learning so much!
clap.gif

We had some beautiful days in February this year, as usual and as usual I had to go outside and relish every second of that sun and bliss.
I cleaned off my garden site and before I knew it I was digging holes for my tomato plants. They cant be planted before May, usually.
I dug them deep and broad. Then I started filling them up. Dove poop, Chicken poop, Bunny poop, Oranges that were too old to eat.
Occasionally I go out and dig it up and turn it and add some fresh dirt and water it really well.
I am hoping to have a better crop of tomatoes this year than I usually do.
I even pounded in the tomato stakes already. Im ready to go.
I feel certain that it will be compaced very well before May and I wont have to worry about the nitrogen content. Just good rotten poop and dirt.
I once built a boiler out of an old bathtub and filled it with horse and cattle poop and boiled it for an hour. (built a fire under it) to kill the weed seeds. I only used this on my flowers that year and they did beautifully.
I saw on the discovery channel where in south american places they use human poop for fertlizer. This gagged me to the gilt.
I guess that is why we get sick over there.. something about monetzumas revenge?

I have always put manure on the garden in the early spring and tilled it in, let it sit a week or two, then planted. Garden has always been great. I've used horse, cow, and chicken manure - whatever I could get for free- and they all work. Composting might be good, but I think you lose some of the nutrients from the manure, especially the nitrogen. I've been doing it this way for 30+ years so it is a 'time-tested' method for me.

Quote:
A minimum of 6 months is required for any type of manure before it is used in the garden.

There are several manures that can be used immediately, rabbit, goat and llama. Not all manures are the same! Chicken manure requires the longest composting, more like 6-9 months, cow manure takes about six months as does horse, although I won't use horse manure, too many weed seeds, but others don't mind it.

Back
Top Bottom