Chicken Medicine Chest

Storybook Farm

Songster
Jun 5, 2015
Sugar Grove, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi

I’ve been incredibly blessed for years keeping chickens, but now I’m suspecting mites, and I also think maybe I need some B vitamins. Since I’m going to go to “town” (we live very remote; it’s an hour’s drive) I thought I’d ask what a well-stocked chicken med kit contains.

On my list already are B and E vitamins, Nutri Drench, Tek-trol, and Chlorine wipes. What wormer should I get? What to treat mites? Please share your favorite “at hand” remedies!

I use Valbazen for worming. Rural King and Southern States usually have it, or you can order it online. Dosage is 1/2 ml for a standard chicken, 3/4 ml for a large hen or rooster, given once orally, then repeated in 10 days. Another is SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer that may be easier to find.

Permethrin 10 is very good for mite treatment, both on the chicken, and to treat the coop. The concentrate is diluted and used in a hand sprayer or garden sprayer (for the coop.) Permethrin garden dust is available for dusting in cool westher.

Poultry Cell has the same ingredients as NutriDrench, but also has riboflavin (vitamin B2,) which is good for use in foot and leg problems.

In my medicine chest I have Vetericyn, hydrocolloid bandages (I cut them up to fit the wound, so although expensive they last a long time), Neosporin, vet wrap (aka "breathable, gentle wrap--sticks to itself, not fur or feathers"; I buy the 4" roll and cut it into whatever shapes I need), Prids Drawing Salve, gauze pads, rubbing alcohol (for sterilizing my tools), Epsom salt, and hydrogen peroxide. I haven't had to deal with mites or worms, so I'm not much help there and will be watching to see what others say :)

Back
Top Bottom