Chicken meowing softly, sneezing and wheezing.

Zinniah

Songster
Apr 12, 2015
Texas
With Video! My hen was fine yesterday, this morning she is making noise that sounds like a soft meow from a cat, sneezing, and wheezing.
She doesn't have any discharge from her nose or mouth, or any sores. Her nose does look dry though, like "crispy" dry.
What could she possible have and what should I try to treat her with?

vimeo_logo.png

Last edited:
She could be suffering from a virus, or from dust or mold in the environment. Look inside her mouth and throat with a flashlight in case of a large chunk of food or a foreign object is stuck. I would also make sure that her nostrils are open and not blocked by food or mucus. Make sure that the coop is not too warm, no wet spots in the bedding where mold could grow, and that there is good air circulation overhead of the chickens. Here is a good link about the common respiratory diseases, such as infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

She could be suffering from a virus, or from dust or mold in the environment. Look inside her mouth and throat with a flashlight in case of a large chunk of food or a foreign object is stuck. I would also make sure that her nostrils are open and not blocked by food or mucus. Make sure that the coop is not too warm, no wet spots in the bedding where mold could grow, and that there is good air circulation overhead of the chickens. Here is a good link about the common respiratory diseases, such as infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you I am going to read that after I'm done replying. There is a white fuzzy mold that grows on the ground, it grows on chicken feed that gets spilled, but I pick it up. Maybe that could be causing it? I will try to look down her throat, it isn't going to be easy, might take a while. Her mouth and the top part of her throat looks clear so far though. ALSO they started eating those cactus they are laying in yesterday! The have always been there, but for some reason the decided to start eating them, maybe that has something to with it.

Last edited:
Are you shore that the plant is cactus and not a spurge?
The spurge family could be poisons! When you broke a limb it ooze milky juice?
See thus link
https://www.google.co.il/search?q=s...ChMI2q_q5_61yAIVU85jCh21-gMU&biw=1024&bih=671
I'm not sure I will check when I get home I'm shopping for medications at the feed store I have 5 other chickens that were also eating it though and the are fine though I suppose she could've eaten more I thought maybe she got a piece stuck

Last edited:
I just touched the cactus and it has tiny 2-3mm long hair like thorns they are almost invisible . Maybe she has some in her mouth and throat... I'm going to remove the cactus I broke it and no white stuff came out. I also bought duramycin-10 tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder I'm going to treat them with that just in case.

Last edited:
It is decently a cactus. Did you check her crop? To she seems that she is gasping for air! It could be gape worm blocking her air ways!
When you dewormed here?
Reed this link
http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Worming_Poultry.html
I have used Mebendazole (vormex) 30 mg/kilo for tree days.

Her mouth is clear, she was dewormed with valbazen last month, i never seen any worms in their poo, but decided to worm them to be safe. I think the cactus thorns have injured her mouth/throat. I thought the cactus was harmless, its been there many years, and only now Ive noticed it has thorns :( i hope she gets better, i just checked on her and she hasn't gotten any worse, and actually seems to be doing okay, she isn't doing what she is doing in the video nearly as much, im going to get a better look at her throat right now

I just touched the cactus and it has tiny 2-3mm long hair like thorns they are almost invisible . Maybe she has some in her mouth and throat... I'm going to remove the cactus I broke it and no white stuff came out. I also bought duramycin-10 tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder I'm going to treat them with that just in case.

Miss use of Antibiotics can cause a disruption of the chicken microflora. The antibiotics kills all the good beneficial microbes that keep the fungi ( which antibiotics do not affect) in this case the use of antibiotic can cause a yeast infection in the chicken crop and digestive tract! If you decide to give antibiotics makes hour to give here probiotics for 5 dates after the treatment.

Back
Top Bottom