Chicken Mites are everywhere!

FrostyWind

Songster
7 Years
Jun 12, 2016
Hello goodnight,
Please help
Chicken mites are everywhere, in my compost bin, on my chickens, they've killed 2 of my newborn silkie chickens.
What kills them instantly... I don't even know where they came from.
What can I do?
How effective is Sevin dust?
Is there anything to put on my chickens to kill them, their eggs and just remove them forever. I've never had this problem until this year?
Thank You

Permethrin spray or dust is good to use, and safe for chickens. Apply every 7 days to the chicken, and empty bedding from coop and nests, discard, and then spray nests, roosts, and coop. The product below is sold at TSC, and is mixed with water according to the inside label, and a pint makes many gallons:
1589940845360.jpeg

Hi Frosty,
Sevin used to be a common recommendation to treat chickens for mites (even by me quite recently). However I've now learned that is not approved for poultry, there had started to be some resistance against this chemical with mites. Take a pass on it and get the permethrin

Permethrin spray or dust is good to use, and safe for chickens. Apply every 7 days to the chicken, and empty bedding from coop and nests, discard, and then spray nests, roosts, and coop. The product below is sold at TSC, and is mixed with water according to the inside label, and a pint makes many gallons:
View attachment 2149449

can this be used indoor if you have mites in the house?

You need to read labels on the products you use. Cats,fish, and bees are very sensitive to Permethrin. Scroll down to page 19 of this label insert by the manufacturer for use in homes:
https://www.domyown.com/msds/Permethrin 10 Label.pdf
A home product such as Ortho Home Defense might be a better choice for inside your home. Permethrin is more for outside use. Always read labels.

Back
Top Bottom