Chicken murdered in coop.

Bugger96

Hatching
Aug 24, 2023
Soo we had a small flock to begin with and the neighbors cat got out and into our coop and killed one of our hens. Now my chickens refuse to go into the coop to roost. Any tips and tricks to get them in?! Please help!!

Soo we had a small flock to begin with and the neighbors cat got out and into our coop and killed one of our hens. Now my chickens refuse to go into the coop to roost. Any tips and tricks to get them in?! Please help!!
Welcome to BYC! :frow

I'm so sad about what that cat did to your hen. We have three, and they all get along.

That said, perhaps leaving the light on in the coop at dusk or if you don't have one in there, a solar/battery lantern of some sort would work. Maybe even consider leaving low light on all night for a few nights as they're scared.

I wonder about even playing a radio softly. We adopted 3 that went through trauma of seeing a fox kill their siblings and it took a long time for them not to freak out about every little thing here at our place, away from that horror so we played a radio in the coop so it wouldn't hear the outside noises for a week while they adjusted.

You could also try be in the coop coaxing them with treats when it's time to go in.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom