Chicken Nesting Boxes

MMSChickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 12, 2014
Missouri
Hi! I'm building a coop for my chickens and i want to know how big i should make my nesting boxes. I have three Rhode Island Reds, five Blue Silkies, and one Easter Egger, I am planning on getting more chickens this spring (Probably Easter Eggers or Wyandottes). Thanks in advance for any advice!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Generally 12 x 12 x 12 inches best but it depends on the breeds you keep. If you plan to have large, heavy breeds then make the nests bigger. For bantams the nests should be smaller. You want the nest to be big enough for the chicken to stand and turn around but not big enough for two or more hens to fit. Then you would risk the problem of nest box wars in which hens fight over nests and try and lay in one at the same time. This leads to egg breakage and stressed hens. Also, provide one nest for every two hens you own. This will insure there are no or less squabbles.

Here is a great link to check out also.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pictures-of-chicken-nesting-boxes-how-to-build-a-nest-box

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

X2 on Mountain Peeps advice.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'd make the nest boxes 12 x 12 inches. That's how large my nest boxes are for my Wyandottes, Easter Egger, and Rhode Island Red. It seems to be large enough.

12x12 would be fine. Make sure it is deep. Mine are 4" deep and they still spill the nest material.

Chickens have a tendency to lay in clutch. I have had 12 birds sharing 3 nests and all eggs ended up in two nests.

The silkies tend to have problems getting up high to the roosts and ended up sleeping in the nests.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

12x12 is fine. Some larger breeds need 15x15. So anything around these measurements is great. :)

Silkies tend to sleep on the floor in a pile rather than roost. It's not really a good idea to let them sleep in the nesting box because they will end up pooping on the eggs once they start laying. Maybe you can make a low roost for them. Their crests and beards obscure their vision plus they don't have the proper type wing feathers for flying.

Back
Top Bottom