Chicken newbie - bloody eggs and vent.

seryn

Hatching
Mar 12, 2017
We have had our 4 laying hens for only 8 days now. On day day 3 we had an egg with a bloody shell and every day since there has been a little on one egg. I just checked the girls vents and one of them is all bloody. I didn't get a close look but it didn't look good! She is still laying and eating and doesn't appear any different to the other hens. Should I be worried? What should I do?
Thank you!!

We have had our 4 laying hens for only 8 days now. On day day 3 we had an egg with a bloody shell and every day since there has been a little on one egg. I just checked the girls vents and one of them is all bloody. I didn't get a close look but it didn't look good! She is still laying and eating and doesn't appear any different to the other hens. Should I be worried? What should I do?
Thank you!!
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

How old is she?
Can you post some photos of the vent and the hen?

You will want to catch up the hen that has the bloody vent and wash the blood off, this will allow you to get a get look at what's going on.
Blood and chickens don't mix, so if she is bloody, the others will most likely start picking at her. This picking can damage tissues and cause severe injury.

Look at the vent to see if it's prolapsed or damaged. If so, you need to treat her and keep her separated.

Keep us posted.
Keep us posted.

Thank you!!
welcome-byc.gif
Little blood no big deal lots of blood not good
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

How old is she?
Can you post some photos of the vent and the hen?

You will want to catch up the hen that has the bloody vent and wash the blood off, this will allow you to get a get look at what's going on.
Blood and chickens don't mix, so if she is bloody, the others will most likely start picking at her. This picking can damage tissues and cause severe injury.

Look at the vent to see if it's prolapsed or damaged. If so, you need to treat her and keep her separated.

Keep us posted.
Keep us posted.

This is good advice !!!!!
thumbsup.gif
I would add that she may be bloody because the others are already picking at her . it does require immediate attention . Look for blood on their beaks .

Thanks so much!! She is about 2 I am told. I checked the others beaks and couldn't see any blood on them. I attempted to wash her to get a better look but it looks so yuk lol I am very new to chickens!! Here are some pics. Let me know what you think?

Ahhh it keeps saying embedding image and then nothing happens :( will try on the computer when I can

It looks like she has had a prolapse and some of the tissue dried out and died or became necrotic.

Try soaking her in a warm tub with epsom salts, chlorhexidene, saline, or betadine to help cleanse, soften and reduce swelling. You will debride the tissue - take a wash cloth and gently rub the skin after soaking trying to get to pink healthy skin - it will probably start to bleed, this is when you stop. You will need to repeat this over the course of several days in order to get to healthy tissue. Pat dry and apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the vent. Try to keep the vent moist with ointment so it doesn't dry out.

Offer her some vitamins in her water and offer some extra protein like egg or tuna in addition to her normal feed. It wouldn't hurt to give her some extra calcium as well. Make sure she is drinking well. Keep her separated until she is healed.

Keep us posted.

It looks like she has had a prolapse and some of the tissue dried out and died or became necrotic.

Try soaking her in a warm tub with epsom salts, chlorhexidene, saline, or betadine to help cleanse, soften and reduce swelling. You will debride the tissue - take a wash cloth and gently rub the skin after soaking trying to get to pink healthy skin - it will probably start to bleed, this is when you stop. You will need to repeat this over the course of several days in order to get to healthy tissue. Pat dry and apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the vent. Try to keep the vent moist with ointment so it doesn't dry out.

Offer her some vitamins in her water and offer some extra protein like egg or tuna in addition to her normal feed. It wouldn't hurt to give her some extra calcium as well. Make sure she is drinking well. Keep her separated until she is healed.

Keep us posted.
thumbsup.gif
I'd say that pretty well covers it .Keep her separate but close to the others if possible . You will need to keep a close eye on her . Hope she heals for you
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom