Chicken Newbie with a few questions!

bsimpson10

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2016
Oregon
Hello, I am new to the chicken world! We just got 9 cute little chicks 3 days ago and we are so excited! We got all 9 different breeds so i hope that is okay! My kiddos picked them out. We have a white leghorn, a barred plymouth rock, a speckled sussex, a black langshan, a buff orpington, a gold sexlink, an easter egger, a rhode island red, and a welsummer. I hope they all get a long okay!

Not sure if asking my questions here is a good idea (forum newbie too obviously) but i was wondering about brooder size. I think 8 of them are about a week old.. they arrived last Friday and were only suppose to be a couple days old.. and one that is a week older (the black langshan)... right now we have them in a big plastic trough type tub that is about 28" by 42"... how long is that going to work? we haven't even started the coop yet... designing and figuring out materials.... wondering about ideas for that many chicks!

Also... i have read about them fighting and pecking each other! SCARY! So my next question is... i have noticed them pecking at each other a little bit but it doesn't seem out of aggression... curiosity maybe? What kind of pecking do i need to look out for?
We have the red heat lamp, feeder, waterer, and a few "toys" to keep them busy... can i give them treat blocks at this age?

Thanks for any info! We want our babies to be happy and healthy so any advice is welcome!

Your brooder will work for a while. Might be good until they are outside. You have almost 8 sq ft. Chicks tend to pick when stressed, overcrowded or bored.

A pie plate of dirt is the best entertainment at this age.

Last edited:
You think its good until they go outside? It seems way too small for that..... its rounded so no corner space. I think i might use my kid pen and make a bigger one. Need to get some chicken wire before i can do that as they can slip through the gaps.

You'll need wire on top of the brooder also because they will start flying soon. If they fly out or fall out, they won't be able to get back inside. A wire top is also good if there are pets involved.

As long as you aren't seeing bloodshed or bullying among the chicks, where they won't allow some to get to food or water - it's all good. Chicks test everything with their beaks, even people, so it doesn't mean they are mean if they give you a peck or two. They don't have hands, so the beak if the best they've gotten.

I wouldn't give them treats this young, they are like kids and can easily learn to turn their beaks up at nutritional chick feed, and prefer candy (any sort of treat). You can put a real branch in the brooder and they will explore and practice getting on and off. Or give them a brightly colored ball to push around. Some even like wooden or plastic building blocks.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Thanks for the advice and welcomes! I do have a wire top on the brooder.... it is in the garage and didnt want any chance of another animal getting them...plus we have 2 german shepherds that have never had to share their space so being cautious.

We are excited to have such a colorful flock!

Back
Top Bottom