Chicken Newbies in Maine

MrsSerfesME

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Westbrook, ME
Hello Everyone,

My name is Kelly and my husband is Joshua, we have 3 kids who 12, 10 and 3 years and we are hoping, now that we own our own house, that we can raise some backyard chickens and a vegetable garden at least to start this year. My husband is a completely newbie to raising chickens, I grew up around family and friends who raised chickens, ducks and other farm animals, so I have some experience, but I am a novice. We do get some harsh weather in the winters in Maine so any advice from other chicken parents in colder climates is immensely appreciated. As of right now we do not have chickens but are trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before we get them so we are informed chicken people.

We are hoping to give our kids an experience like I had as a kid growing up in the country growing our own vegetables at our house, and helping our friends, family and neighbors with their animals. I don't think enough kids get those experiences nowadays and many of them would have no clue how to raise even their own vegetables if they ever had to. My husband is also more of a "city boy" so I am hoping to teach him a few things also. Ha!

I'm excited to get to talk to all of you chicken people and gain some valuable real life knowledge and experience raising chickens with all of you.

We are also looking at guinea fowl and possibly some goats (in the future) so anyone with experience with them who has any advice is appreciated also. My husband hasn't heard the goat idea yet, but he will all in good time, we'll start with the chickens and guinea fowl first. hehehe

Kelly

WelcometoBYC.gif

Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I am excited to be learning about my future chickens!

I forgot to mention, my maiden name is Hatch, is that fitting for someone raising chickens? Maybe I should change back to my maiden name, though my husband probably wouldn't like that.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom