Chicken noises?

That's the conclusion I've come to about my little Glo'.

I think you'd be ok posting future queries on this board. Having read through most of it, there's loads of breed specific queries

If you have a chicken making gurgling noises, I'm telling you that is not normal. You are taking a lot of chances if you do nothing, and especially considering your location.

Yes, they make different noises. But if mine make gurgling noises, they are in quarantine. Period.

Gurgling or general wet breathing sounds are not good. If you have caught it early you can treat it with antibiotic. I usually treat everyone because its easier for me. If the chicken is lethargic you should seperate and treat. My experience is keeping a chicken warm while treating is helps the most. One of my maran hens sounded funny last night so everyone is getting treated today.

Gurgling or general wet breathing sounds are not good. If you have caught it early you can treat it with antibiotic. I usually treat everyone because its easier for me. If the chicken is lethargic you should seperate and treat. My experience is keeping a chicken warm while treating is helps the most. One of my maran hens sounded funny last night so everyone is getting treated today.
I really should record her, I can't really explain or compare the noises she makes. It's like a growling, do chickens ever normally make growl noises?

My girls sound an alert that is what I call a trill when something bothers them--perhaps that is the sound you are hearing. They stand stock still when they do it.

She does it normally the same way the other chickens talk, if we come near the pen she does it, when she wants cheese she does it, when she's peering at us through the porch she does it... haha aww she's really cute I hope she's not sick, none of the other birds act like her or sound like her. I will record her when I get home tonight.

I've heard chicken noises that might be described as gurgling that weren't wet breathing....truly a vocalization rather than just noise during breathing.

Last edited:
When our flock sees a hawk in the sky (especially the roosters) they make a noise that I think sounds just like them saying HAAAAAaaaaaaaaaawwwk! They really do it when they see any predator, or hear an alarming noise. It's their predator alarm call. I guess you could call it growling. I that might be what she's doing and it might sound something like gurgling, but from the way you describe the noise, it sounds more like a breathing issue to me. Growling does not really sound like milk bubbles. Bubbling has always been a problem, in the cases I've seen.

Our hens "sing" when they are happy ,as in sitting in the sun. It might sound sort of like gurgling too. Its a very soft sound.

The roosters make a similar noise to the hen song when they've found a good nest site for the hens.

When our alpha rooster is happy and he's out with the hens and they are moving, he will chatter to them. He walks along beside them, making a continual gabbling noise. It's like he's carrying on a conversation with them. When he does this, he sounds very happy and upbeat. He does it especially when we are out in the yard on nice days and they are coming to see what treats we might have for them, lol.

Young chickens (pullets and cockerels) make a different sound than the older ones do, especially at feeding time. It's a soft rrrhh rrhhh rrrhh? noise, sounding like a question. Our Silver Laced Wyandot hen does this too and she's the only one in the whole flock, other than the young ones, who does this..

Over time, you will learn the sounds your flock makes, which are normal and which are not, and what they mean.

The chicken who made the bubble noises is my white leghorn, who only made it once that I've noticed. She doesn't make that noise normally. She also seemed alerted to something because she was staring at something very intensely, she is a very jittery chicken and rarely stands stock still like that.. It could also be described as a soft coo or purring noise? it was very weird and I almost didn't hear it.

The chicken who is growling is my EE.

I think I will watch out for the weird noise from the WL and hopefully the rain doesn't get too heavy to record the EE tonight ;)

The story of your rooster sweet talking the hens is really adorable, I wanna hear it! <3

This has been my first experience with chickens so really the noises could be anything, they are all new to me XD

Back
Top Bottom