Chicken noob says "HI"!

sgvpollo

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2015
Hi all,

I'm thankfully from "grey area/chicken legal" Unincorporated Los Angeles County, and recently became a 2 chicken owner, thanks to some overly adorable chicks at a Farmer's Market near Santa Monica a few months back. My chicks are now about 4 months old, and the clock's now ticking for some eggs!

BYC is such an awesome resource, and I'm glad you guys are hear to share for all us chicken dummies. And a big THANK YOU to responders who have helped ID my girls (officially)!

"Why do we have chicken poop all over the backyard? This is why!"

Glad you joined the BYC flock
D.gif

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

Congratulations on getting your first flock. That picture of your daughter (I'm guessing) with the chick is cute...kids and chickens just seem to go together.

Have fun and if you need any help, just post. There are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable members here.

I was more than familiar with all of the USDA restrictions on "pocket pets" here in So Cal, but really floored when I learned about restrictions on poultry, fowl and even rabbits! By my count, I'd bet 90% of the illegal possession in SoCal is bunnies and guinea pigs, forget about pot!

The restriction on chickens is truly amazing. I understand how roosters and noise may be an issue in some communities with noise criteria (many, many LA area cities have noise ordinances), but I can't make any reasonable debate in my head over why a parrot squawking and babbling all day and night is somehow better than chickens! And let's be real and look at our demographics... LA was founded on agrarian culture and many of the people living here today still practice it. You just can't convince me that a city full of chickens is going to disturb the natural ecology of LA, when us humans pretty much did a good job of that starting 200 years ago! I haven't seen anything natural in these parts for as long as I've lived :D

Last edited:
You make some good points but when dealing with "officials", reason doesn't always come out on top. Funny when you think about it...someone can have a pack of barking dogs, make a complaint about a few chicken squawks and the chickens are considered the problem. I'd rather listen to my flock or the neighbor's rooster any day over dogs barking non-stop (don't get me wrong, I like dogs too). It's a crazy world out there sometimes. Glad you are able to have some, you'll enjoy them, chickens are a lot of fun.

I was more than familiar with all of the USDA restrictions on "pocket pets" here in So Cal, but really floored when I learned about restrictions on poultry, fowl and even rabbits! By my count, I'd bet 90% of the illegal possession in SoCal is bunnies and guinea pigs, forget about pot!

The restriction on chickens is truly amazing. I understand how roosters and noise may be an issue in some communities with noise criteria (many, many LA area cities have noise ordinances), but I can't make any reasonable debate in my head over why a parrot squawking and babbling all day and night is somehow better than chickens! And let's be real and look at our demographics... LA was founded on agrarian culture and many of the people living here today still practice it. You just can't convince me that a city full of chickens is going to disturb the natural ecology of LA, when us humans pretty much did a good job of that starting 200 years ago! I haven't seen anything natural in these parts for as long as I've lived :D
Oh, here I go! Right? How 'bout ferrets and hedge hogs. They would surely destroy the natural ecology. Of course, the tens of thousands of acres of pot farms with gasoline and their toxic fertilizers being dumped into natural streams and the water supply is a non issue. We must regulate chickens. It's nonsense. I get that some folks have zero common sense and would have 50 chickens and 30 roosters in a subdivision without rules. I don't get the push against a few hens to provide healthy eggs.

Back
Top Bottom