Chicken Noob

Chicksy

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2016
Sulphur Rock, Arkansas
Hello all. I'm fairly new to the chicken game but I've always loved animals and am looking forward to this hobby. I've got a nice fence all plotted out. 4x4 posts and a 5ft tall horse fence ( the rectangular linked kind ) and about 50 sq ft of wiggle room is successfully constructed in my back yard. I'm working at the coop for now. I've seen some chicks at Tractor Supply Co and I figured that spring was the best time to purchase chicks. I'm not really concerned with the breed just yet. Before I purchase the little cluckies I need to make sure their new home is perfect and puppy-proof. I have 3 dogs. 2 small chi-mixes and a german shepherd. So LOTS of planning and prep work to come.

Any advice that can be offered would be great. Breeds that are low cost start up, coop design options(I love re-purposing), or even if its just linking a neat thread about getting started would be much appreciated.

Thanks ya'll!

Welcome to BYC!
It sounds like your fenced in area is very similar to ours and it works well. I know what it's like introducing chicks to dogs as we have two dogs, a Beagle and a Pointer mix. Once the chicks got comfortable in their new home we would securely hold a chick in our hands and show them to the dogs, then we would repeatedly say "no". Then we worked up from this point setting the chicks on the ground and telling the dogs "no". Our dogs got the idea quickly, so hopefully yours will too. Good luck! :)

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
-great to have you onboard with us.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You may also find this link useful - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box).

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom