chicken not eating feed

Kmcschoolee

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
I have a chicken that I have had for a year. I am not sure how old she is because she was given to me by someone who's chickens were all killed by a predator but her. She did not know how old she was. May be as old as 4. She was still laying several eggs a week up until she started acting sick a few weeks ago. She won;t eat anything but fruit and veggies. She has lot a ton of weight and seems a little weak. She will stumble now and then if the ground is uneven. She acts really hungry and gets excited if I bring her fruit or vegetables. Her crop feels normal but empty because she isnt eating. Poop is mosly water. She is drinking pleanty and I watched her eat grit out of the food but did not eat any food. I have tried wetting the food and we changed from pellets to cruble and she still wont eat. She wont eat scratch or worms. She will get a few bugs. I saw her with a grass hopper yesterday but she gave up when she couldnt get it broken apart. She may just be getting old or have some cancer or something but I wanted to see if anyone had any other idea. I have wormed her with both ivermectin on the back of the neck and oral goat wormer. Any idea on what else to do?

Have you changed brands of feed? There was a brand I got from a farm store once that my chickens refused to eat. They were used to major common brands. Stop the fruits and vegetables so that she will get hungry. Part of a scrambled or boiled egg can be added to her feed. I would add a little water to it, but make it fresh daily, and keep adding water if it dries out. Is she drinking water? Are you certain that her crop is emptying overnight? Cancer and reproductive disorders are very common at her age. What did you worm her with? Weight loss is associated with cancer and crop problems, but make sure that she is not bullied away from food and water.

Have you changed brands of feed? There was a brand I got from a farm store once that my chickens refused to eat. They were used to major common brands. Stop the fruits and vegetables so that she will get hungry. Part of a scrambled or boiled egg can be added to her feed. I would add a little water to it, but make it fresh daily, and keep adding water if it dries out. Is she drinking water? Are you certain that her crop is emptying overnight? Cancer and reproductive disorders are very common at her age. What did you worm her with? Weight loss is associated with cancer and crop problems, but make sure that she is not bullied away from food and water.
I have not changed brands and she would not eat either the pellets that I had or the crumble I just got. She had not been eating really much for weeks and has lost so much wight that I just started to give her fruits and veggies because it has been so long. She was not eating for a very long time and was very hungry when I gave her the produce. So stopping will not help. Plus I only started giving it to her because she was so thin and bony and acting weak after not eating for so long. Yes I am certain her crop is emtying. Its not even getting much in it in the first place, You can hardly feel it unless she has had produce. She is drinking water and I wormed her with both ivermectin drops on her neck and oral fenbendezole. Not at the same time. She is not being bullied at all. She stopped at the food dish yesterday and only ate a few pieces of grit. I have added water to the feed both the pellets and crubles.

Back
Top Bottom