Chicken not eating food-Help please!

bockerchickens

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2023
Suspected maybe sour crop because the crop is squishy, but it's not full at all. Just won't eat regular food. I have been feeding her scrambled egg and she is eating that up. 3 year old golden comet. She lays very large and somewhat bumpy eggs recently so this has me concerned.

She pooped, she's contained by herself in a crate with straw. Her poop was a bit runny. I don't feel anything that would seem like egg bound.

I have tried to puke her but she doesn't puke anything up after I give her hours without food (which is pretty easy!). I have given her tiny bits of monostat 7 once a day to try to help with potential yeast infection in the crop...

Any thoughts/next steps?

Suspected maybe sour crop because the crop is squishy, but it's not full at all. Just won't eat regular food.
But will she eat other things?
She lays very large and somewhat bumpy eggs recently so this has me concerned.
Photos of the eggs?
She pooped, she's contained by herself in a crate with straw. Her poop was a bit runny. I don't feel anything that would seem like egg bound.

I have tried to puke her but she doesn't puke anything
I would not try to vomit her, that's very risky and she can aspirate or choke.

She's separated out - is she lethargic, being picked on, not able to walk or interact with her flock normally?

I have given her tiny bits of monostat 7 once a day
Treating Sour Crop can be a challenge. Miconazole is given 2X a day for 7 days in a row. 1/2" of Cream or 1/4" of Suppository. Not sure how much a "tiny bit" is.
This article will walk you through treating a crop problem. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What do you feed, including treats?

Photos of her, her poop and her eggs can be helpful.

Usually, if the only symptom is something like a crop problem and the hen is not getting picked at, she can eat/drink on her own and interact with her flock, she's better off being with her flock while she's being treated. Less stress and less drama than trying to re-integrate a hen that's been separated out for a few days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom