Possible sour crop, discolored crop

Jen26

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2023
Hello -

I have a sick hen and hoping for some advice. She’s nearly 3 years old and is back laying nearly everyday after taking a break in winter.

Wednesday I noticed she wasn’t interested in their mealworm treats. Went to check on her later in the morning and still not very interactive or eating, but moving around and alert. I isolated her and she ate a scrambled egg later that evening and seemed to perk up.

Yesterday morning she had laid an egg in the crate where she is isolated. We moved her back into the coop with her friends.

Today, again not interested in food, and also not moving around much. Just standing in the coop and run. She had laid another egg today. We isolated her and noticed her crop felt very squishy. Withheld food and just offering water. She’s now closing her eyes in the crate from time to time.

I’ve massaged her crop tonight and I’ve given her one dose of Monistat tonight as well as a Sour Crop Tinctire supplement from Moonlight Mile.

While I was massaging her crop I noticed the skin over her crop is purple. The skin on her back and belly are normal in color.

They’re housed in a coop with attached run. Haven’t been able to free range much lately so likely didn’t get into anything.

Fed Purina Layena crumbles and Feather Fixer for extra protein.

Hoping for thoughts/recommendations please. I’m stumped. Appreciate the help!

Attachments

• IMG_7566.jpeg
    IMG_7566.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7567.jpeg
    IMG_7567.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 10
I'd check her crop first thing in the morning, but it sounds like you are already on top of treating the crop. You may find the article below helpful.

It's a bit concerning that the skin around the crop is discolored. Could she have injured that area somehow or is she around other livestock that may have kicked or accidentally stepped on her?

@azygous have you see just the skin around the crop discolored like this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'd check her crop first thing in the morning, but it sounds like you are already on top of treating the crop. You may find the article below helpful.

It's a bit concerning that the skin around the crop is discolored. Could she have injured that area somehow or is she around other livestock that may have kicked or accidentally stepped on her?

@azygous have you see just the skin around the crop discolored like this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for the help. Just checked her and unfortunately the crop still feels large and squishy. The skin on top is still dark. She’s only around her coop mates. Really hoping I can find a vet that will take a peek at her today.

The only thing that the discoloration brings to mind would be the crop sac may have a perforation and crop contents are leaking, now residing under the outer skin. If you have a vet see her, ask about that possibility.

She sounds like she's declining. Do the miconazole twice a day, and it doesn't hurt to double the dose each time.

Hello -

I have a sick hen and hoping for some advice. She’s nearly 3 years old and is back laying nearly everyday after taking a break in winter.

Wednesday I noticed she wasn’t interested in their mealworm treats. Went to check on her later in the morning and still not very interactive or eating, but moving around and alert. I isolated her and she ate a scrambled egg later that evening and seemed to perk up.

Yesterday morning she had laid an egg in the crate where she is isolated. We moved her back into the coop with her friends.

Today, again not interested in food, and also not moving around much. Just standing in the coop and run. She had laid another egg today. We isolated her and noticed her crop felt very squishy. Withheld food and just offering water. She’s now closing her eyes in the crate from time to time.

I’ve massaged her crop tonight and I’ve given her one dose of Monistat tonight as well as a Sour Crop Tinctire supplement from Moonlight Mile.

While I was massaging her crop I noticed the skin over her crop is purple. The skin on her back and belly are normal in color.

They’re housed in a coop with attached run. Haven’t been able to free range much lately so likely didn’t get into anything.

Fed Purina Layena crumbles and Feather Fixer for extra protein.

Hoping for thoughts/recommendations please. I’m stumped. Appreciate the help!
Sounds like the purple area is a hematoma (bruise)? And also the food may be in the mix to make her unwell? Look at the ingredients. The cheap mixes contain so many chemicals. She may even have a blood thinner in that ingredient mix. I'll take a look and get back to you on that. barb

Back
Top Bottom