Chicken not walking and Deep cut

rjchicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 9, 2011
Sorry I don't have pics but my leghorn hen has been over mated by the rooster again. We found our hen laying under the coop not moving so I picked her up and she was shivering. So I brought her in and found a deep dirty cut on both sides under her wing. We cleaned it up and applied neosporin all over her. She still won't move and we have her in the house in an old rabbit cage. We have been given her drops of water and left some crushed up grapes with her. I am just wondering if I am doing everything right or if I should do something else. Thanks for your responces and I will try to answer any questions you have.

Put some electrolyte powder or drink in a waterer for her. Soft scramble an egg and leave it in there for her - she needs protein. I'd also try to get some polyvisol (no iron) baby vitamins in her. She's in shock. You'll also need to make sure she's nice and cozy warm, and in a dark quiet place for a few days. Poor baby. Rotten Roo!

klmclain is right, Vitamins and electrolits would be a good Idea, and she definately needs extra protien. Antibiotics are good, and don't let the roo mount her again any time soon.

She just passed away. Thanks everyone for your responces. She is in a better place now.
sad.png

I'm so sorry! Are you absolutely sure it was the rooster? Could it have been another animal or a hawk? If it was the roo, I'm not sure I'd keep him around.... Again, I am really sorry to hear this.
sad.png

I have the same issue with a leghorn now, and yes, it's the rooster.
sad.png
Sorry about your bird, rjchicks.

Back
Top Bottom