Chicken or Rooster ?

RobC123

Chirping
Jun 30, 2020
I have this buff Orpington and can’t tell whether it’s a rooster or hen. It’s about 15 weeks and still hasn’t crowed but it looks like a rooster to me.

Attachments

• 42D288EE-663A-44CE-97BC-2E9962D8BC48.jpeg
    42D288EE-663A-44CE-97BC-2E9962D8BC48.jpeg
    607.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DFBDA510-66F4-4889-B772-660A8BE495F4.jpeg
    DFBDA510-66F4-4889-B772-660A8BE495F4.jpeg
    975.7 KB · Views: 22
I have 2 other roosters that crow all the time, is it normal that he isn’t crowing ?
It's normal that he's not crowing. In my flocks, I have only seen dominate roosters crow. When the dominate roosters were removed, the lower ones would start crowing. He is probably the lowest rooster in the rooster pecking order, so he wont crow.

Usually the dominant roosters crow often and the ones that are lower on the pecking order crow rarely. If he's lower on the pecking order he's probably not crowing.

When a rooster crows, it's a declaration. It's him saying "These are my ladies, my coop, and my food". Head roosters crow to announce this. A less dominant rooster doesn't crow as often because he knows he can't beat the head rooster in a fight and therefore is laying low.

Usually the dominant roosters crow often and the ones that are lower on the pecking order crow rarely. If he's lower on the pecking order he's probably not crowing.

When a rooster crows, it's a declaration. It's him saying "These are my ladies, my coop, and my food". Head roosters crow to announce this. A less dominant rooster doesn't crow as often because he knows he can't beat the head rooster in a fight and therefore is laying low.
Totally goes against what I just said about my dominant cockerel but the other crowing cockerel's always back down when he challenges them, actually they usually challenge him and he makes them back down... he has crowed but he doesn't anymore.

Totally goes against what I just said about my dominant cockerel but the other crowing cockerel's always back down when he challenges them, actually they usually challenge him and he makes them back down... he has crowed but he doesn't anymore.

Different flocks work different ways. :confused: Just how I've seen my roosters work things out.

Back
Top Bottom