Chicken pile instead of the coop??

Apexshana

Chirping
Aug 1, 2023
Los Angeles, California
I have a question about my 7 week old chickens not wanting to go in the coop at night...the just want to be on a pile in the run attached to the coop. We have a large enclosure then a coop with a run inside that. It's super secure from predators just for context. But ...

For a week we have been picking them up at dusk and putting them in the coop but every night they are in a pile in the run connected to the coop and won't go into the coop on their own. What are the repercussions of letting them just sleep in the run or any advice on getting them to go in at night? We tried putting a light and treats in the coop part as well but nothing seems to work... Help 😜
20230723_145929.jpg

Where in the world are you located? Cause here in north Alabama USA it's been really HOT!!!!!

If it's hot where you are, could be that they want to stay in the run because it's cooler there than in the coop. If you have a totally predator secure outer run, sleeping in the run shouldn't be an issue. I don't actually have a coop for my chickens because it's hot almost year round. They live in an open air covered run (Greenhouse frame covered with hardware cloth, a tarp, and surrounded by a 3 ft apron). Mine perch on elevated 2"x4" in the run.

Have you actually seen them using the ramp, or have they been trained to use it?

It's hard to see from the photo, but how well lit is the coop at dusk, and how well ventilated is is? I only see the one window and it's got glass over it? It's very cute, but unless the walls we don't see have huge vents (like 3.5 sq ft each) you're lacking in ventilation, and assuming you're in the northern hemisphere it's been a hot summer in many places.

As well as the others things already pointed out......
The ramp is too steep and not enough cleats on it.
Put a concrete block under the low end and 2 more cleats in between the ones already there.

Have you actually seen them using the ramp, or have they been trained to use it?

It's hard to see from the photo, but how well lit is the coop at dusk, and how well ventilated is is? I only see the one window and it's got glass over it? It's very cute, but unless the walls we don't see have huge vents (like 3.5 sq ft each) you're lacking in ventilation, and assuming you're in the northern hemisphere it's been a hot summer in many places.
There are two larger windows on the back side and it's been in the 70's & 60's at night. The plastic part opens up so it open air and we keep it open at night. We have a light in there that's pretty bright. We tried to have them go up the ramp by putting some grubs on there but they just stop before they get to the top and fly off. They seem to just want to be in the run....

How long have they been living in the coop/run?
Were they ever closed in the coop for a couple days/nights to 'home' them to it?
How many birds?

The plastic part opens up so it open air
What "plastic part"?
Pics?

it's been in the 70's & 60's at night.
Do you have a thermometer inside the coop to monitor the temps there?

What are the temps during the day?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Apexshana
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1691078751438.png

How long have they been living in the coop/run?
Were they ever closed in the coop for a couple days/nights to 'home' them to it?
How many birds?

What "plastic part"?
Pics?

Do you have a thermometer inside the coop to monitor the temps there?

What are the temps during the day?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Apexshana
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3598051
Location updated. I'm in Los Angeles. There is a window that opens and closes and yes we have a thermometer in the coop 🙂 we have 6 and they have been in there about a week. We didn't put them directly into the coop part at first and I read that we probably should have for a couple days. Going to try and put the cinder block today and to make the incline a little less steep and maybe that will help.

Back
Top Bottom