Chicken Pluckers

Tervil Torv

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
I have 300 chickens that need processing. Any advise on over-the-counter pluckers? I see two different types: tub and barrel. Barrel pluckers seem easier, at least according to the YouTube videos, drop them in the barrel and 15 sec. later they are clean. Tub pluckers seem labor intensive, have to hold the birds by the feet. Both however are in that $500-$800 range.

Any advise?

Thank you

With that many chickens the high investment will probably be worth it, especially if you are going to do it again. Like you said you toss them in the tub and 30 seconds later they are done.

That's a lot of chickens! Featherman Pro is about $1,200. I think that is considered the standard in pluckers. I'm saving up for one next year.

We were able to borrow a Pickwick rotary drum plucker for quite a while and it worked well for our needs. However the owner would not sell the unit. We saw the Feathrman Pro in use at a poultry seminar and liked the unit, and also that it was and still is American made, the price however was too steep for our budget. Always watching and doing broad searches on Craigslist, we came upon a used EZPlucker 181 with scalding units as well. The price for all was very, very good. Correctly scalded the unit does 3 birds at a time in under a minute. The unit is supposed to be capable of up to 40 pounds of carcass weight, so will easily pluck turkeys too. Generally I process 2 dozen chickens at a time by myself, start to finish takes about five hours.
I think though that with the discussion of 300 birds you would need to have additional manpower help, and additional resources for cooling down the carcass's. As our freezer space opens up we are always making ice blocks in preparation for upcoming processing day.
jeff

I bought the EZPlucker and I was not sorry for it. It cuts my processing time over halfway and is easy to clean and take care of. The one I got can do between 2 and 4 birds at a time and plucks them fairly clean. Occasionally it leaves a wing or tail feather on but other than that they are ready for the next stage. I even did turkeys this year with it and it handles up to a 20lb bird. Not bad and it's about 1/2 the cost of the featherman which wasn't bad either.

One word, "WHIZBANG"
Buy the book and find a friend with skills. As solid as you want and as cheap as you need! Good luck

ummmm......what????? lol
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom