Chicken poo/compost tea in the garden

MountainMomma359

Songster
Apr 14, 2022
Hello group šŸ™‚(I posted this also on a gardening page and didn't get any feedback) I am growing my first real vegetable garden this year. I also have a few chickens so I make compost. I am also "brewing" some chicken poo compost "tea". The google just says to use as needed....but how do I know when and how much y plants will need? I know chicken manure can burn so I want to obviously avoid that.
I have peppers, tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, and some pumpkins that grew up from last years Halloween pumpkins on their own.

I spread a generous amount of it around my garden before I plant, that way it gets mixed in everywhere. Then after the plants come up, I just pour enough to wet the dirt around the plant. It always works for me like that!

I spread a generous amount of it around my garden before I plant, that way it gets mixed in everywhere. Then after the plants come up, I just pour enough to wet the dirt around the plant. It always works for me like that!
Thanks! My plants are still small-like 6 inches tall, should I let them start to fruit first? I'm so afraid of burning them. How often should I use it vs just watering them?

Chicken poop fertilizer tea should be composted first. Getting good bacteria to break down the chicken litter requires carbon (wood, dry leaves, straw etc.) oxygen some time. A compost bin will generate heat to kill pathogens that may be present and turn the ammonia into nitrates. Eliminating the burn. I'm working on a chicken poop composting system to make tea for hydroponic gardening, but haven't collected all the pieces and assembled things yet.

I use the chicken manure tea also. I put my waste into a compost bin and it stays their until I use it. While it sits though it turns into compost and is a rich dark color too. Then I make the tea out of that compost. That being said I don't have to wait to use it and I can use it in my garden and my flowers. I've never burned any of mine up doing it this way.

Hello group šŸ™‚(I posted this also on a gardening page and didn't get any feedback) I am growing my first real vegetable garden this year. I also have a few chickens so I make compost. I am also "brewing" some chicken poo compost "tea". The google just says to use as needed....but how do I know when and how much y plants will need? I know chicken manure can burn so I want to obviously avoid that.
I have peppers, tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, and some pumpkins that grew up from last years Halloween pumpkins on their own.
As a "rule" I don't add manure to my gardens. The manure is first composted (in a compost pile) and then the compost is spread on/ in the gardens, I also don't use manures in my teas. The reason I don't add manure to my gardens or teas is because you will be adding bad bacteria, fungal life, microorganisms, etc. that I don't want in my soil, composting manures first will kill these bad bacteria, fungal life, microorganisms, etc. BUT will encourage the growth of the good bacteria, fungal life, microorganisms, etc. that we want.

Note ---
The compost pile and the composting I am talking about above is an Aerated Compost Pile, Aerated Compost, (sometimes call "Hot Composting") where air is added to the compost by turning it OR forcing air into it by means of a blower.
An Anaerobic Compost Pile, Anaerobic Compost, (sometimes called "Cold Composting") is "stagnate", has little air and contains mostly the bad "stuff" I don't want in my gardens with very little of the good "stuff".

When I make a Compost Tea, I make an Aerated Compost Tea and use it about once a week.

Here are a couple of videos that should help you out some, I hope.
Keep in mind the second video is about 30 minutes long and is part 1 of 5.

How to Make Compost Tea Like a PRO

How to Grow Amazing Plants with Compost Tea - Masterclass with Dr. Elaine Ingham (Part 1 of 5)

Back
Top Bottom