Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

Muggsmagee

Menagerie Mama
13 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Central NY
Welcome to Chicken Addiction Anonymous! Here at CAA we offer you the chance to tell us your story of your addiction and how well you grasp the concept of chicken math. We leave you with the disclaimer that we are not here to help you, as we also suffer from Chicken addiction.

I wanted 5 chickens in the beginning...that's all I thought we could handle. It seemed like a huge number at the time. Eight months later we have over 100 and I want more! There are so many gorgeous birds out there...I see no end in sight!
wee.gif

The unseemly event that happened with my addiction, is the fact that my husband has become an enabler! Life is good!

Last edited:
Well Hello Everyone.
frow.gif
This new site is quite the deal. Just wanted to report that I've had 8 little fuzzbutts hatch out yesterday and the day before. I tried to get pictures but can't seem to get them off my camera onto the computer. So I've ordered a new camera, should have it in a few days. Also wanted to report that all of those eggs that I won on auctions here on BYC last week and the week before are in the incubators tonight. About 65 chicken eggs of various breeds and six Brown Chinese Goose eggs. All three of the Little Giants here in the house are full to capacity, well almost, only 5 holes empty between the three. The Sportsman 1202 in the greenhouse only has 46 eggs in the top tray. That is where the 6 goose eggs plus 40 of the chicken eggs are. First time using the 1202. Please wish me luck.
smile.png

I think you are doing pretty good! I wish I could DWINDLE my flock down to those numbers! :D

So...what breeds of chicks, ducks and geese did you get?
pop.gif

I went for variety! I have these chicks coming: 1 Ideal 236, 1 Production Black, 1 Silver Penciled Hamburg, 1 Golden Lakenvelder, 1 Black SexLink, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Delaware, 1 Barnevelder, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 11 Easter Eggers, and 10 Dixie Rainbows. For ducklings: 1 Blue Swedish, 1 Khaki Campbell, 1 Rouen, and 1 Snowy Mallard. And lastly for geese: 1 Brown African and 1 Gray Saddleback Pomeranian!

NOW im up to 17 ....................... I cant make it an even 20 no non no nono
he.gif
A guy was down sizing his farm they were only 3$ each and laying still?!! how could I resisit!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Our family is great at chicken math.
We started with 4 ISA Browns. When they got older, we decided we needed to integrate replacements. We also wanted a rooster.
4 new replacements + Rooster = 5 hens and 1 rooster. Of course that's not bad at all. Only one extra chicken right? I forgot to tell you about the incubator. :eek:
From only wanting 5 or 6 chickens, we somehow got lost along the way and now have 43 chickens. I thought 6 was a lot but we can't stop putting more eggs in the incubators. And when we want a new breed? We NEVER come back with just that breed. Go out for an Australorp? Come back with 3 barnevelders, 2 aracuanas and probably a duck.

Went to buy feed and TSC has 75 cent chicks. Buff orpingtons and assorted midget chickens (bantams)
Ok 4 midgets and 2 buff orpingtons. Tally is only 59 birds now. Been eyeballing the incubators. Been reading how challenging hatching can be. Lol like I ever avoided anything tough. Got out my chicken cookbook and perused the gourmet recipes. If the description on how to get to your house includes look for the barn red coop. You might be a chicken addict...

Back
Top Bottom