Chicken-proof, erosion-proof & bee friendly plants/herbs/edibles

jharrs

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 15, 2014
Hi all, I am looking to replace some grassy area that is surrounded by pathways with - as the title says - chicken-proof, erosion-proof & bee friendly plants/herbs/edibles. The problem we have had is that the chickens find a way to open up the lawn and that hole just keeps getting bigger and then there's no more lawn.

So I'm looking at making sure the edges of this new garden space are well rooted, dense in foliage and not easily dug up or eaten by the chooks, but also easy to maintain because we will still need to edge along the concrete barrier. I've considered a hedge, but they still like to get underneath them and dust bathe. I'm thinking a carpet of something that isn't the stock standard buffalo grass.

In the centre of the bed I'm ok with less dense plants, herbs and flowers, so long as they're hardy and the chooks won't devour them.

I'd really love to be make the garden attractive to bees too, so that means lots of flowers (that also don't get eaten by chooks argh!)

I'm in Australia, so happy to go with natives too and mix in the cottage garden feel.

Haha, mine don't seem to be too destructive. I have 6 houdans so they are a bit delicate, nothing like the ISA browns. Haven't bothered with the oregano or rosemary but seem to be in love with the rhubarb leaves.

Hmm.. they seem to be alive, but they're young so not laying yet. I might fence that off!

Try spearmint (not peppermint), if you can find it in your area. It can be pretty invasive in the right conditions, but you may need to protect it from the chickens with a wore cage of some sort until it gets established. It gets lots of flowers that are beloved by bees, and I don't think much eats it.

Back
Top Bottom