Chicken purring!

AGW62015

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2020
So I have heard my girls “purr” when they were all cozy sleeping together when they were little & inside.
It is the cutest sound!
I haven’t heard them do it though since they moved outside.

Just a little bit ago I took our dogs out & I saw 3 of my 4 (1 was inside the coop) out in their run near their food just standing still not moving. I tried talking to them & making noise.. they still didn’t move!
So I went over to them figuring maybe they got spooked by something & decided to not move (they had been this way for 5-10 minutes)
When I got close I noticed all 3 of them were just standing near the food making the purring noises. Even when I talked to them they just kept doing it!
I was so mad I didn’t have my phone on me!
It was so cute!!
But a little odd too lol
I figured they’d do that when laying down but they were just standing.. starring.. & purring!

Has anyone’s chickens just stood around randomly purring together before!? 🐓🙂

Sounds like they saw something that made them cautious. Usually a predator, probably areal, will make the freeze and start vocalizing. Did you look up?

The were just looking straight ahead. I looked up & all around... there was nothing around that I could see. So I am not sure what may have bothered them! 😕

Some of my chickens are 6 years old, they were just purring today! But they were laying very comfortably under a shade tree and enjoying the slight breeze. They were very content.
I haven't heard them purr since they were chicks. Maybe they are messing with me and they normally only purr when I'm not around and then start purring when I walk away 😂

So I have heard my girls “purr” when they were all cozy sleeping together when they were little & inside.
It is the cutest sound!
I haven’t heard them do it though since they moved outside.

Just a little bit ago I took our dogs out & I saw 3 of my 4 (1 was inside the coop) out in their run near their food just standing still not moving. I tried talking to them & making noise.. they still didn’t move!
So I went over to them figuring maybe they got spooked by something & decided to not move (they had been this way for 5-10 minutes)
When I got close I noticed all 3 of them were just standing near the food making the purring noises. Even when I talked to them they just kept doing it!
I was so mad I didn’t have my phone on me!
It was so cute!!
But a little odd too lol
I figured they’d do that when laying down but they were just standing.. starring.. & purring!

Has anyone’s chickens just stood around randomly purring together before!? 🐓🙂
So purring is sometimes confused with growling . Yes growling and this is usually a predator alert . It is slightly different. Mine do this when they see a hawk or owl . One time a stork was sitting in a large tree over looking my yard and they sounded like a pack of growling dogs 🤣

They are not purring or growling. They are trilling. They do this to tell the flock to stop, freeze there may be a predator. Don't talk to them or make noises to make them move. They are doing what their supposed to do to stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom