Chicken recalls thoughts

osbmail

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
I have read of a couple chicken recalls in the news lately did not pay much attention but they catch my eye.Since we raise all the chicken we eat no need to check barcodes or any like that.Now in my mind may or may not be true I believe that the chicken I raised has less of bacteria and other nasty things.I don't treat meat from my chicken like poison but do try and be careful of cross contamination.I use one cutting board for raw meat.I don't wash or spray chicken of in the sink or at all.One thing I do ,is use a meat tempture guage everytime I cook chicken at my house.Have been many other home kitchens,when I ask for a meat temp gauge because help with cooking I always get a no ,not even maybe a just don't own one.So I was thinking Goverment needs to step in here I mean why not? Ads,commercials,warnings big bold letters like tobacco products and free meat tempture gauges or discounted ones at least.Just idea , truth is if you are cooking meat you need a temp. guage not just for the safety reasons and peace of mind but also so you are not over cooking meat.

The government interjects themselves in more than enough of our daily lives. I don't need them in my kitchen telling me how to cook chicken.

The government interjects themselves in more than enough of our daily lives. I don't need them in my kitchen telling me how to cook chicken.
yes I agree guess It was a bit of joke about Goverment it is really up to people using the products but I think there is a for sure need for education on this subject.

I don't want the government spending my tax dollars telling me how to cook. I actually prefer to eat most of my meat raw. Sushi is one of my favorite meals. Most fish I cook so the center is still pretty much raw, outside seared. Steaks in my world should still be bloody in the middle. Even pork roasts I prefer to still be a little pink in the center. So much tastier that overcooked and dried out. Chicken is the one meat I prefer to be cooked through. I've never gotten sick from any of these foods and I don't feel I need to be "educated" on how to cook. If you're eating poor quality meat from questionable sources (or just cheep supermarket meat) then you may need to be more careful with cooking times. Good meat, handled properly shouldn't be full of bacteria and won't make you sick even if you eat it raw.

If the general public actually saw how their grocery store chicken was slaughtered and processed, that industry would crash virtually overnight. Personally, I'm surprised there are not more recalls.

I mean both actually. Sashimi is the raw fish served by itself or occasionally with a bit of garnish. Sushi is raw fish served on rice balls. A few sushi preparations cook, sear, or torch the fish but that is not really the authentic way of eating it...mostly it's done for American sensibilities. Those rolls stuffed with cooked crab and topped with mountains of garnish and sauce are not really sushi in my opinion. Totally an American invention. They can be good for what they are but only have the loosest association with sushi.

Sushi crawling with worms....yummm! Like anything else...good quality fish from someone who knows how to prepare it and screen for worms and it's all good. I make a ton of my own sushi. Living on an island in AK I have access to great fish. But I do know how to prep different fish species to make it sushi grade and how to cut them to expose any worms if they are present.

I agree that if most people saw the inside of a slaughterhouse they would never eat the meat that comes out of it.

I've had legitimate japanese sushi (thank you deployments :D). It's heavenly. I prefer raw sushi to cooked, though the occassional tempura is tasty. Raw fish has a better texture to it.

The slaughterhouses bother me a bit less than the months animals spend on feedlots living in giant piles of urine and feces. I knew they were bad, but had no idea just HOW bad until I moved out to southwest Kansas (beef center of the world). These **** feedlots are e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. and they are nasty, and sad.

Back
Top Bottom