Chicken Rescue

Well..... I think you were right, Sue T.! I don't think she's a chicken. I've got her in a big crate, put down lots of hay, put a drinker in the crate that we used for our chickens when they were little, and a pie plate filled with layer pellets. I've also put the crate inside the chicken coop as the coop roof will keep her (or maybe it's a him) dry. She will probably spook our chickens but neither of them can get to each other. She's alert, but staying very still. I will post to the "What breed...?" forum for sure as I'd like to know what I have. All sorts of crazy things are running through my mind now, like, could this possibly be a baby hawk? Probably not, but hopefully I'll find out soon. Thanks for alerting me, and for the advice about the other forum.

Great advice! I will definitely keep an eye out. Also, as she's definitely not a chicken, I'll need to figure out what I'm dealing with. Heading off to that other forum now. Thanks for your kind words!

Here's a photo. No idea what kind of chicken she is, whether she is healthy... but just couldn't let her fend for herself by herself.
oh my gosh! XD that is a Chukar my dear and it is fully grown. Chukars are a wild species, similar to pheasants. She might be happier on a farm that raises those kinds of birds. They aren't usually too happy when confined. They can coexist with chickens and turkeys but is easily picked on. If you let her outside of the run she'll probably fly off so you know. Edit: here is a Patridge Chukar picture: picture If you do want to keep her however, she'll need her own little full year enclosed run and tiny coop. You should look into getting a friend for her like a quail or another Patridge chukar. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Whittni! I switched forums to "Which breed..." and someone also said it was a Chukar. I currently have it in a big crate inside my chicken coop to protect it from the elements and predators. Neither the chickens nor the chukar can get to each other. It was not taking flight when my friend found it, and it did not take flight when it got here. Not sure if it is hurt or something else. It was very alert but not moving a lot when we put it in the crate. I checked on it one more time as it got dark and it had found the corner of the crate and was snuggled in. Do you think I should just release it tomorrow? Although it sounds like people actually raise these kinds of birds. I do not think I'm up for that but I want to ensure that it is safe and getting what it needs.

It would be totally fine to release it, they have excellent instincts and will be fully functional just like in the wild. Anywhere there are wild quail will work perfectly (it'll probably join their group right away because they have a similar disposition) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom