Chicken Roaming

Jucodeo

The Sky is Falling!
Jun 15, 2016
Holland Patent, New York
My Coop
My Coop
Today I just let out my two oldest hens which are both 13 months old to roam around the coop. My first one the Barred Rock didn't have a problem she only wandered a few feet from the coop. My other one is a Rhode Island Red. She didn't go to far either my only problem is she went into the yard a little bit and got snipped at by my dogs. Ever since we got the chickens 2 days ago the dogs have sat there staring at the coop for hours. I know they just want to play, but I do not want the chickens getting scared. Also I worry if we aren't careful they could run into the weeds or the road. What do you guys think I should do?
Justin
thumbsup.gif

Today I just let out my two oldest hens which are both 13 months old to roam around the coop. My first one the Barred Rock didn't have a problem she only wandered a few feet from the coop. My other one is a Rhode Island Red. She didn't go to far either my only problem is she went into the yard a little bit and got snipped at by my dogs. Ever since we got the chickens 2 days ago the dogs have sat there staring at the coop for hours. I know they just want to play, but I do not want the chickens getting scared. Also I worry if we aren't careful they could run into the weeds or the road. What do you guys think I should do? 
Justin :thumbsup

Do the dogs actually just want to play. A lot of people think that there dogs would never harm there chickens, but then the 'inevitable' happens. I would slowly introduce the dogs, if they snap at the chickens in any sort if way they need to be reprimanded, with my cousins lab with tapped him on the noise, he has never went after a chicken or duck again.

For the chickens going onto the road or into the weeds I would say out a fence by those areas, and clip the hens wings

Yep we clipped the hens and we are thinking of building a fence. We think the dogs are curious and like you said bad things could happen. Thank you for the advice!
Justin
1f60a.png

Yep. Depending on the breed you may need a slower introduction to the birds

Back
Top Bottom