Chicken rookie

pam buske

Chirping
Jul 7, 2023
I got my first chicks 3/7/23. I have done very well so far. I have 9 chickens: 2 ameraucana's, 2 starlight's, 2 golden comet's, 2 buff orpington's, 1 ISA brown. I switched them just this week to layer feed since they are 16 weeks now. All are getting crowns and getting to the color red expect my ameraucana's. The crowns are not developed or any where near the color pink. Are they just late bloomer's? Also, I have one of my ameraucana's can not see the food in my hand when I hand feed. She pecks all around the food in my hand and eventually finds it all the others can find food in my hand. Now she can see good at distances because she will charge at the other girls in the run area, I call her bossy. If I toss food on ground she can find it but not as fast as the other girls. Should I be concerned with this seeing issue.

Hello Pam, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Your Ameraucana may be late bloomers. They all mature at their own rate.
Bossy may have a vision issue. As long as she can eventually eat, just monitor her weight. I have a one eyed hen who is mid-ranking and does just fine finding enough to eat.

:welcome

Hi Pam, some birds mature at a slower rate than others but so as long as they are eating/drinking/pooping ok, they're fine. Several years ago I raised a trio of Speckled Sussex and one was much slower growing than the other two (but she caught up eventually)...so being slower to mature can happen even within the same breed.

Make yourself at home here!

Welcome to BYC!
Most of the chicken breeds you keep have a comb type called a single comb. Ameraucanas have a different comb type, called a pea comb. Pea combs are smaller then single combs, so they don't grow as fast or as big.

Also, if you got your Ameraucanas from a feed store or hatchery, they are most likely Easter Eggers. Still really great birds, but not pure bred.

I got my first chicks 3/7/23. I have done very well so far. I have 9 chickens: 2 ameraucana's, 2 starlight's, 2 golden comet's, 2 buff orpington's, 1 ISA brown. I switched them just this week to layer feed since they are 16 weeks now. All are getting crowns and getting to the color red expect my ameraucana's. The crowns are not developed or any where near the color pink. Are they just late bloomer's? Also, I have one of my ameraucana's can not see the food in my hand when I hand feed. She pecks all around the food in my hand and eventually finds it all the others can find food in my hand. Now she can see good at distances because she will charge at the other girls in the run area, I call her bossy. If I toss food on ground she can find it but not as fast as the other girls. Should I be concerned with this seeing issue.
Welcome to BYC!! I agree with DobieLover.

Hello Pam, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Your Ameraucana may be late bloomers. They all mature at their own rate.
Bossy may have a vision issue. As long as she can eventually eat, just monitor her weight. I have a one eyed hen who is mid-ranking and does just fine finding enough to eat.
thank you, I do watch them all closely and will make sure Bossy maintains like the rest of them.

Welcome to BYC!
Most of the chicken breeds you keep have a comb type called a single comb. Ameraucanas have a different comb type, called a pea comb. Pea combs are smaller then single combs, so they don't grow as fast or as big.

Also, if you got your Ameraucanas from a feed store or hatchery, they are most likely Easter Eggers. Still really great birds, but not pure bred.
thank you great information for me. I could see their combs where quite different.

Back
Top Bottom