Chicken run predator proof

Raisingpeeps

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Quincy, IL
We are building a coop and run for our new chickens. I have read up on predator proofing the coop and I am feeling that it will be very secure. The run itself is set in a concrete foundation (old greenhouse foundation) and we have the hardware mesh for the bottom 4 feet of the fencing.

Our dilemma is the top of the run. We have coons, possums, owls, and Hawks all in our area. We plan on putting the girls in the coop every night but I still worry about dawn and dusk times when coons are very active. The run is large- about 15x20. Any advice on what type of material we would use for the top f the run? Thank you ;)

I would use an electrified perimeter of some sort. Properly positioned it will stop all but the smallest mammalian predators. Owls can be beat mostly by timing of flock release into coop. With respect to hawks in such tight confines, an adult standard size rooster can be very helpful. If you have something like a silky, bantam or Polish; then keep those in a coop.

I like the idea of the electrified fencing. No roosters for us though as we live in town :(. I was thinking about this ... MAT 308243B 36" x 100' ft 1/2" mesh , 19 gauge Galvanized Hardware Cloth Fencing for the top of the run. The run will be butted up against the garage and I am afraid something could access the top of the run via the garage roof.

No coyotes as we live in town[/B]]but I bet we have a few foxes.... Does the electric wire go around the top of the fencing?

Don't bet on it. When my son was going to college in St. Paul, MN, he saw a coyote crossing a major 4 lane highway one night. The best way to find out what wildlife lives in your area is to get chickens.

Yikes- We have a German Shepherd that takes care of possums and raccoons whenever she can find them and we have an eight foot fence around the yard. It seems overwhelming trying to keep the ladies safe- makes me want to just keep them in the house!

Back
Top Bottom