Chicken Run Question

captdad

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 26, 2012
Has anyone successfuly made a run large enough so that the chickens don't turn it to mud within a week?
I have one that is 10 square feet per bird but still not large enough! I'm thinking maybe 50 square feet/bird?
What do you think? Thanks

We separated ours into 3 smaller runs with a "hallway". They use one run for a week, then it has two weeks to recover. I move the trellises around so they can't scratch all the way down to the roots, but they can still eat the grass. Rotating
"pastures" is the only way that I've been able to keep grass.

goodpost.gif

Good idea!

A year or two back someone posted pictures of their chicken's run, which had suspended hardware cloth over some of the grass. I wish I could remember who it was, or something to narrow it down; but it was a very impressive run: large and nice looking - it was like a park for chickens.

I did something similar (though not as clever). However the chickens squeezed under the wire! The hardware cloth is much better (and substancially more clever).
I read in a chicken magazine that each chicken needs 30 square feet of space in a run so as to not have it be dirt! 30 feet each! That's 1/2 my yard!
Back to the drawing board.
caf.gif

Part if it is what is your climate and grass like. They might have different square feet per chicken requirements on top of a mountain in the Rockies, on the Gulf Coast, or maybe in New England. There is not going to be one square feet answer that fits us all.

I made a 100X100' run using electrified poultry netting from Premier. 19 chickens milling around in there since Apr, and I still have plenty of grass. Around the coop itself is a little rough, but it still has grass. Below is a pic of the back side of the "Run".
Jack

LL

Back
Top Bottom