Chicken Run questions

JacksFlock

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Maine
Hey all.

I have 11 hens that will be living in an 8x8 coop. They will be free range most of the time, but we are building a run for them for days we aren't home.

How big of a run would you suggest with this situation, and what is the minimum height you would make the top.

THANKS!

The minimum recommended run space is 10 sq. ft. per chicken - though more is better. I currently have three hens in a 44 sq. ft. run, and I'm more than doubling it in the next few weeks before we add our fourth (and final) hen...

As far as height, I've seen some runs that were only 2-3' high, but that may pose some maintenance difficulties, I'd imagine...

Good luck!

Yeah, I agree with Mike and Dave - make the run taller than you are so you can clean without bashing in your skull or walking like Quasimodo. Since your flock will mostly free range and only be locked in the run occasionally, you could probably get by just fine with something in the area of 8x8 or 8x10. That way you can stick with standard size lumber with fewer cuts to make and maybe you won't have to hold up an armored truck to pay for all the wire. Of course, if you're one of those chicken nuts (like most of us here on BYC) who is likely to have more than 11 hens next week, then I'd go as big as money and space would allow.

You should plan on at least 10 sq feet per hen in a run. More is better.

My run is "walk-in" height -- about 8 feet. I have a "people door" that opens inward. My run is covered with 2 x 4 wire that goes up and over (to guard for hawks), (plus down a foot on the outside and out 18 inches to discourage digging). The inside is also covered with wire mesh up to about 3 feet (to keep raccons from "reaching in").

Good Luck!

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom