Chicken Saddles??

Here is my really ragged Rhode Island Red. I made her saddle large to cover her entire feather area and tail, and she is actually quite comfortable. She has such a serious case of moulting, and being mounted, that she needs all the protection she can get. Her feathers are starting to come back in, and she is doing well. She doesnt even notice her little "jacket" any more!
RaggedRhodeIslandRed.jpg

For summer, i have four hens wandering around in a cheerful Waverly upholstery fabric, lined with Provencal red stripes.
Winter wear is chamois on one side with purple polarfleece on the other.
It takes the hens about a day to become used to them.

Love the pink with black hearts!

That sounds delightful!
and such a great idea, designer fabrics with upholstery cloth, it is so sturdy. I may want to branch out into winter wear for the girls, and my Rhode Island is so oblivious, so I'm going to shoot for some pretty colors and patterns, I just want to make sure we're not covering any festering pests or issues, and there needs to be circulation under there, too. I'm just trying to give em a chance to heal while their main roo is in the Pen (breeding pen with the Cuckoo Marans girls) and the little silkie roos are too rough and tear their feathers out. Wait til their man gets out and sees the ladies in their cool little new outfits! Ooh la la!

Got any ideas for the back of their heads? My roo is a little rough and sometimes will grab a girl by her head instead of neck. I have 3 who are almost bald-headed.
sad.png

Quote:
OMG - I LOVE this!!!

My poor Tinkerbell is really in rough shape right now and this would be so much easier than finding yet another space for Woodstock.

So - how long is the elastic piece on this for the wings? I'm going to make some for my girls tonight.

love.gif

You can fit it to her shape, I took mine out to my Rhode Island Red (thats how she knew what was up). Put it up to her shoulder, the strap/elastic goes through the fold at the top, under the wings, back up to the saddle. You'd be surprised, it's only a couple of inches! I used wide elastic and buttons, others use snaps and material. Mine has had hers on for a week and she's quite cozy, she is strutting around in the open alot more now! She has other issues (crop related) but is getting alot better!

Quote:
Maybe we should design a hen bonnet or hen helmet. Let me see what we can safely do? Any ideas anyone? I have the same problem for my little Rhode Island, shes the most "ridden"....poor little girl.

Oh my, the retro pink saddle was adorable! But, do you think the hearts are sending the roos a mixed message?
wink.png

We don't want any hens to be accused of teasing the boys.

Back
Top Bottom