Chicken SCratch poultry?

Quote:
2x
pop.gif

I hatched out some Ameraucanas and marans from them about 3 weeks ago. They are very nice people to deal with. I had 15 eggs shipped, 9 hatched (I incubate/hatch in a Brinsea). I ended up with 2 blue and 1 black Ameraucanas out of 5 eggs shipped, 3 black copper marans and 3 blue copper marans out of 10 marans eggs shipped. One of the blue marans was born with a leg it couldn't use.. I gave it a few days but it was apparent it wouldn't thrive. I have another blue that I am now noticing a strange issue: there is NO tail to speak of on this chick. However, there are feathers starting to grow out below it's vent that are growing up towards the vent!! I am going to wait and see what happens with this, but it seems like an early recipe for a big problem. 2 of the 3 black marans have very heavily feathered legs, but they both also have mid toe feathering, a fault. That said I'm not a show breeder, I just want to enjoy some nice dark eggs. For the nice line they claim these birds are from I was a bit surprised. But the birds I have are active and growing like weeds, can't wait to get some nice eggs from them down the line.

I actually went to their place last weekend and picked up my chicks and they were very nice and she added 3 packing peanuts of my daughters choice and all of them are super healthy

I have 16 eggs in the bator right now from them, blrw and welsummers. I was looking for laying stock, not show birds.

Price didn't seem unreliable to me, the eggs I got were well-packaged and shipped according to my request. They have good fertility for shipped eggs. I would like to think that prices for eggs would be enough to encourage more people to breed and sell chickens, which would be good for both chickens and fanciers.

(maybe I should say good-quality chickens)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom