Chicken scratch vs. chicken feed

THere are many ways to approach this. Im convinced that feed should ideally be given this way:

A hopper of scratch/cracked grain
A hopper of all purpose feed
A hopper of oyster shell
All the green feeds they can eat.

Chickens have definite appetites for all of these, each at differing times. This does not include what they pick up while foraging.

To simplify things you can give all your adult birds:

A good layer feed - males included.
Add to this the green feeds.
Scratch/cracked grain and table scraps as available.

I feed a locally milled grower feed (this one is 17-18% protein), oyster shell, greens as available and scraps. Mine are yarded and allowed to roam at will within their paddock.

Last edited by a moderator:
* Besides being far too short of protein for good development, scratch has next to no calcium for layers, and really not enough nutrients if you hope to hatch healthy chicks. I think it is best used to encourage activity in your birds, and as a training reward. JMO.

The only other compounding issue, FisherM, is feeding chicks.
They cannot have layer feed, as it contains elevated calcium levels for making egg shells. This calcium is bad for chicks. For those little guys, you want a grower ration, free of the calcium excess.

I just make it simpler and give a grower ration to everybody. The grower I have here is locally milled and is 17-18% protein. I keep oyster shell grit in a separate feeder that the chicks can't get to, so the hens can help themselves to it.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
This is NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!

High fiber products are the ingredients that produce heat. The starches in corn are very digestible and have a much lower Heat Increment than many other ingredients available for use in monogastric feeds.

Jim

If it's not true than it's got to be the best perpetuated feed myth here.​

Glad to hear that they can all eat grower feed.
I just went out and fed everyone their separate foods.

Now I need to get educated more about ducks. Mine are 9 week old Pekins. They are eating the same as the chicks now.

Quote:
What size bags are those prices for???

thanks!

Also why shouldn't scratch be fed in hot weather?

50lbs. Corn causes the chicken to heat up. Great for cold winter nights!

Fullhouse is right..........its all carbs and the body has too work too hard to break it down, which heats up the body and many people lose birds in the hot summer because they are un-aware of it and feed scratch. But in winter they need the extra warmth so keep it handy.

Back
Top Bottom